Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Can't buckle seat belt with booster installed w/o 5 minute struggle

My son is 6 years old (50#, 46 in.) and we just switched him to the Graco Affix Highback Booster. I have a 2011 Scion XB and the seat belt is sooo far down in the seat that it is nearly impossible to latch the seat belt with this booster seat. I've read that you're not supposed to use a seat belt extender with a booster seat because of the positioning of the lap belt and the use of after market products with a booster is bad but there has got to be some sort of solution to this problem. I literally have to climb in the backseat over my son and struggle with the thing for 4/5 minutes every time my son rides in my car. Which is pretty much always because I'm the one that drives him around most of the time. I'd prefer to not have to buy another booster seat (I just spent $65 for his one and we don't have the money for another one now.) We bought 2 of them. It works fine in my husbands car but the Scion's seat belts in the back seat are so far down in the cushions they're incredibly hard to reach, then when you push on them when trying to push the belt into the latch they just slide down further into the seat!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Can't buckle seat belt with booster installed w/o 5 minute struggle

I know that you can leave the seat belt buckled all of the time and teach your child how to get in the seat by sort of crawling under the belt. Somebody posted a video of that on another thread somewhere on here. I'll post a link if I can find it.

Hi! I also have an xB and you're right, the seatbelt buckle are pretty recessed. The Affix is wide at the base, if I'm not mistaking. I have a Britax Parkway, which is narrow at the back. Buckling is not fun, but its not horrible either.

Does the seatbelt retracts freely in the belt guide? I ask because the shoulder belt comes from behind the seat and it causes mine to get caught in the booster's belt guide. The Parkway 2013 was the only one compatible.
    Mary Ann - Maman franco
    Sorry for my broken English
    DD1: 10/2008 - Rides FF in a Plum RXT or PW's
    DD2: 02/2013 - Rides RF in a Flamingo Foonf
    DS: 07/2015 - Rides RF in a cowmoo Boulevard

Carseat Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by JlynnB View Post
    I know that you can leave the seat belt buckled all of the time and teach your child how to get in the seat by sort of crawling under the belt. Somebody posted a video of that on another thread somewhere on here. I'll post a link if I can find it.
    We've done this many times.
    C: 12/06, maui PW
    M: 02/08, carbon vivo
    C: 12/10, RF sporty blue TF

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: Can't buckle seat belt with booster installed w/o 5 minute struggle

Is the seat LATCHed in? Maybe just use it unLATCHed so it can slide out a bit? It's not required to be LATCHed, so if that makes things any easier, go for it. Good luck, it sounds like that's a challenging car .
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good