Question Can't buckle seat belt with booster installed w/o 5 minute struggle

U

Unregistered

My son is 6 years old (50#, 46 in.) and we just switched him to the Graco Affix Highback Booster. I have a 2011 Scion XB and the seat belt is sooo far down in the seat that it is nearly impossible to latch the seat belt with this booster seat. I've read that you're not supposed to use a seat belt extender with a booster seat because of the positioning of the lap belt and the use of after market products with a booster is bad but there has got to be some sort of solution to this problem. I literally have to climb in the backseat over my son and struggle with the thing for 4/5 minutes every time my son rides in my car. Which is pretty much always because I'm the one that drives him around most of the time. I'd prefer to not have to buy another booster seat (I just spent $65 for his one and we don't have the money for another one now.) We bought 2 of them. It works fine in my husbands car but the Scion's seat belts in the back seat are so far down in the cushions they're incredibly hard to reach, then when you push on them when trying to push the belt into the latch they just slide down further into the seat!

ADS

JlynnB

I know that you can leave the seat belt buckled all of the time and teach your child how to get in the seat by sort of crawling under the belt. Somebody posted a video of that on another thread somewhere on here. I'll post a link if I can find it.

Mary_Ann

Hi! I also have an xB and you're right, the seatbelt buckle are pretty recessed. The Affix is wide at the base, if I'm not mistaking. I have a Britax Parkway, which is narrow at the back. Buckling is not fun, but its not horrible either.

Does the seatbelt retracts freely in the belt guide? I ask because the shoulder belt comes from behind the seat and it causes mine to get caught in the booster's belt guide. The Parkway 2013 was the only one compatible.

CMeMeC

I know that you can leave the seat belt buckled all of the time and teach your child how to get in the seat by sort of crawling under the belt. Somebody posted a video of that on another thread somewhere on here. I'll post a link if I can find it.

We've done this many times.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Is the seat LATCHed in? Maybe just use it unLATCHed so it can slide out a bit? It's not required to be LATCHed, so if that makes things any easier, go for it. Good luck, it sounds like that's a challenging car :(.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC