Booster...when are kids ready?

cat mommy

What age can kids start riding in boosters for occasional use (like a friend's vehicle)? For use in a secondary vehicle (once or twice a week)? For use in a primary vehicle (daily use)?

I know that kids are supposed to be 40 pounds before they ride in a booster, but is there some leeway for very small kids who won't hit 40 pounds until they are well past 6?

What evidence is there regarding safety of harnesses v HBB for kids who are of proper size and sit properly 100% of the time?

Thanks in advance!

DD 5 1/2 41.5 pounds
DS 5 1/2 35.5 pounds

ADS

1mommy

The general rule of thumb is 4 and 40 pounds IF they can sit still which is somewhat doubtful at 4. I think a while back there was a Transport Canada study and it suggested their was some benefit to keeping 4 year olds harnessed vs the 6 year olds, but I can't seem to find it by googling. Maybe someone else can find the link. But I also seem to recall it had a lot to do with seat geometry- how the car's seat belt and the booster seat worked together to fit the child properly.

I've heard it said that the main reason for 40 pounds is that most children do not get a good belt fit until they are around 40lbs, I believe Belle's Gift (Youtube video - if you google it to watch it WARNING CHILD DEATH MENTIONED) said that a child needs to be 5 and 40 pounds because of hip development.

At less then 40 pounds there is an increased risk of the child submarning (sliding under the seat belt and the seat belt causing internal injuries to the abdomen), but I believe older kids are less at risk of submarning because of their more developed hip bones, so theoretically an older child who is not yet 40 pounds, as long as they have a proper belt fit should be ok.

Personally (Not a tech but a mom of a skinny boy whos just 30 pounds at 3) I'll be ok with him ridding in a booster occasionally at 5 (providing hes mature enough) and 6 all the time in my car even if hes not yet 40 pounds.

cat mommy

Thanks. I am debating whether to start booster training DS, in a Turbobooster, and whether to move DD full-time to a Parkway with the crotch clip.

DD sits properly 100% of the time in her RSTV, even when sleeping. She is not one to mess around in the car, which is why I'm seriously considering it for her. I am concerned about whether the belt is as safe as the harness when used properly for a kid who is barely 40 pounds, but it sounds like we don't have definitive answers for that.

DS needs to learn to sit in a booster, so he can ride with friends--I feel that other parents are more likely to buckle him properly in a Turbobooster than to install a harnessed seat properly.

aeormsby

My kids were both 5 when they started using a booster occasionally. They were both boostered full time at age 6. Both were 40lb or close to it by age 5. At 5.5yo I'd be comfortable with boosters as needed as long as they fit correctly (most likely more of an issue for the smaller one). The Turbobooster usually fits smaller kids very well (although I don't have any personal experience with it). For a backless the Harmony literider/youth booster fits small kids surprisingly well also, usually with the use of the shoulder belt guide.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC