Question Booster time??? DD almost 4 years old, 42in/40lbs, considering Recaro Performance Booster

M

MyTallPreschooler

Hello all. My DD turns 4 in two months, does take naps on car rides.
I have a 2014 Civic, she's currently in a Safety 1st Complete Air 65 Convertible, FF middle seat position.
I love the seat, however the top of her head is less than an inch from the top of the headrest. Her shoulders are also slightly above the bottom of the side wings. She is tall for her age.
She is not a fidgety kid, she usually plays with some stuffed animals and sits well.

What worries me is the flopping over (to the side/ forward) while she sleeps.
I assume the Recaro side wings would keep her from coming out.
Looking for advice, should I just wait on the booster?
Thank you!

ADS

aeormsby

A just turned 4yo in a booster probably isn't a good idea. Once they're using a booster you're putting the responsibility for sitting still to keep the belt positioned correctly on the child. Most kids aren't ready (mature enough) for that until 5-6yo.

Where are your DD's shoulders in relation to the harness slots? The harness should be coming from above the shoulders when FF. As long as the harness is positioned correctly and tight enough (can't pinch a fold along it's length) then having the head flop forward or to the side isn't a safety concern.

If you want to try a different seat I would suggest looking at some of the harnessed boosters that are available. Most would harness her longer and might be more comfy than her current seat. And when she's ready they can convert to a belt positioning booster. The Nautilus (although a lot of kids have head flop issues in that one also), Britax Frontier, or if you like the look of the Recaro the Performance Sport I believe. Also the Evenflo Securekid. I feel like there are 1-2 more that I'm not thinking of.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Silly question, but you're sure the headrest is adjusted all the way up to the top position? The top slots on that seat are about 17", so most kids should actually fit till at least size 5/6 shirts, even size 6/6X.
It's not impossible of course that she IS that tall and too big for that seat, but I'd be seriously looking at seats with much taller top slots in that case to keep her harnessed another year or so for optimal head and spine protection. Britax Frontier is considerably taller, and while not much taller, the geometry might be different and the Nautilus or Argos (graco) or Secure Kid (evenflo) might do the trick and then become decent boosters later.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC