Help finding a special needs car seat

U

Unregistered

Hi,
I am having trouble finding a car seat that will work for my son. There are not many seats locally I can see in stores but there are a lot online.

His issue is a health condition that is causing the back of his head to grow rapidly. This is forcing his chin to his chest.

He is almost 2 years old, 26lbs. Have you seen a seat I should try?
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

lanwenyi

I don't know, but I'm going to bump up your thread so that hopefully someone with special needs experience will see it.

I would rec keeping him rear-facing. The recline of the seat would probably help keep his chin off his chest. It is also safer in an accident than forward-facing.

Good luck finding a seat that works for him.

MotoMommaNH

Bumping for you. I'm not a special needs trained tech, but would also recommend rear facing for angle & safety!

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Three options I can think of off the top of my head:

1: the Hope Car Bed. Allows side lying position up to 35#. He may be too tall though. Takes up at least 2 backseat seating positions.

http://www.eztether.com/index.php/product-info/hope-car-bed

2: The Roosevelt. Forward facing only. Has a neat system of shavable foam inserts which can be custom shaped to the s=child and glued to the shell under the cover. These would allow the torso portion of the shell to be built out to so that his body sits further forward without pushing his head forward as well.

http://www.eztether.com/index.php/product-info/roosevelt

3: Modified EZ on Harness. Back or tummy lying position. This is the most affordable option if paying out of pocket. Takes up at least two backseat seating positions.

http://www.especialneeds.com/e-z-on-modified-M203-mini-push-button-vest.html

*It might be worth contacting Merritt to ask if the customizable foam can be used on the Jefferson rear facing seat as increased head size and abnormal bone development are both reasons to rear face as long as possible.

Now, as a special needs tech, I can tell you that when a child is in a Spica cast, the angle of the cast often causes them to sit in the car seat in a way that pushes chin to chest or chest to cast and makes breathing difficult. When that happens, it is accepted practice to fold a towel up behind the child's shoulders to arch the back just enough to let the chin lift. This isn't best practice, but when dealing with SN situation sometimes there are zero carseats that don't force parents to compromise some crash safety in favor of solving a problem that's much more immediate than a crash that might happen. Since it may take some time to determine if there is a carseat that is just right for him, I wanted you to have at least a temporary solution for his current car seat that has at least been approved for some situations, just in case it gets to the point where his breathing is compromised enough that your only other option is to not use a seat at all.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC