99 chevy cavalier

rosey2007

I Just bought a 99 Chevy Cavalier and wanted to have them install a top tether anchor. Anyways, I contacted a Chevy dealership and theytold me that I would have to pay for the installation kit and labor to have it done. Is this true? I thought they would instal one for free.

ADS

Dillipop

At one point they were installing one for free. The ones I paid for were about $40 each though, so still pretty reasonable. Is there anything in your manual about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Congrats on your new wheels. If you're in the U.S., the Chevy/GM dealership should not charge you for 1 top tether anchor retrofit based on the info. in the most recent 2015 edition of the LATCH manual. GM dealerships are to provide 1 top tether anchor retrofit free of charge (no charge for the part nor for the installation labor, entirely free of charge to you) in retrofittable 1989-2002 model year GM vehicles in the U.S. per GM Service Bulletin #99-09-40-004a dated April 12, 2005. Additional tether anchors anchors beyond the first free one would be out of pocket, but hopefully not excessively costly (get a price quote in writing in advance to avoid any surprises, though) considering it shouldn't take much longer to install another one or two top tether anchor retrofits beyond the first free one. Dealerships unaware of the GM retrofit program/policy are unfortunately a recurring theme here at times :eek: but you can refer the dealership to that relevant service bulletin number for details to get the dealership up to speed, and enlist the help of GM corporate if need be to nudge the dealership into fulfilling the first free retrofit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC