Help choosing Rear facing seat for travel for my 2.5 yr old

U

Unregistered

Hi, we have a Clek Foonf as my daughter's car seat and love it!! But, as you know, it is super heavy. We are flying on vacation and the renting a car and would like to take our car seat with us for her to use. But, we are hoping to purchase a 2nd seat, not only because the Clek is so heavy, but as a backup for my husband's car.

Here is what I need:
Rear facing -- she is 34.5" and we want it to continue to allow her to rear face as long as possible. She's low on the weight range at just 24lbs, so no worries there.
Safety & Affordability -- I want it to be the safest I can buy next to the Clek, but not cost the price of a Clek because it will rarely be used. So, safety definitely trumps affordability for me. But, just hoping the price tag is a little more on the lower end.

Weight -- because we will be lugging it around and through the airport, the more lightweight the better!

Info -- my husband drives a Jeep Commander. We will be renting a Dodge Caravan on vacation.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

lgenne

The two I would look at:

Cosco Scenera NEXT: super lightweight, installs very easily. Cons are a short crotch strap (probably matters less for a skinny kid) and when she outgrows it RF in less than 6", she will have already outgrown it FF. (but it's so cheap, the "short" lifespan is probably ok.)

Safety 1st Guide 65: this one will last quite awhile FF. Cons: harder to install RF (requires pool noodles), some kids get head slump in it.

Catalytic

Not sure how it does long-term with taller kiddos, but I LOVE the Graco MyRide65. It RF to 40lbs, and my 42", 41lb 5 year old is still very comfortable in it (even RF, but we turned it due to him crossing the 40lb mark). It's much (MUCH MUCH MUCH) lighter than the Foonf, I can install it pretty quickly (no pulling the seat off like with my Foonf, I have the original from 2012, tho, I think it's been changed), and I like how "deep" it is, my son looks very cradled in it.

LOVE our Foonf, and LOVE our MyRide65. (Honestly knowing he's only 41lbs at 5, I could have just gone with MyRide in both vehicles and been *almost* happy...he crossed the 40lb mark maybe 3-6 months ago, and I really wanted to RF to 5 at least.)

Hazelandlucy

The Safety 1st Guide 65 is really easy to travel with. The Evenflo Sureride is probably easier to install and has more EPS foam and much higher sides, which I like. It's very light too! It's a little taller than the Guide so bulkier to carry, but like a feather so does't really matter too much.

kookaburra

The Safety 1st Guide 65 is really easy to travel with. The Evenflo Sureride is probably easier to install and has more EPS foam and much higher sides, which I like. It's very light too! It's a little taller than the Guide so bulkier to carry, but like a feather so does't really matter too much.

Both my husband and I found it hard to get a tight install with the Sureride RF, and a co-worker said she also found it fiddly to install RF. FF install was a piece of cake.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC