Best Airline for Flying to Hawaii with a baby and kids?

MsFacetious

I have only flown with kids in seats 2 times, they were 2-5 years old at the time.
Both were Delta and I don't recall having any issues other than seating arrangement not being what I wanted.
However that was also 10 years ago and things may have changed since then.
I prefer Southwest now just because we board first and don't have assigned seat. (They don't fly to Hawaii though.)

We are flying to Hawaii in the fall. We will have a 3-4 month old at the time.
We are trying to decide if there is any advantage to one airline over another.
We don't mind one stop... a direct flight might be a bit long anyway. But no more than 1 stop.
From looking Delta and Alaska Airlines seem to be the best options cost wise.

I'm assuming that no airlines have a discount on a seat for a baby, right? :rolleyes:
Also I am only planning on a Keyfit for the baby.
Is that going to work on the plane or do I need to have another option for travel?

Thanks in advance.

ADS

MsFacetious

So is that Hawaiian over all other airlines? Or just over Alaska?
Looks like Delta, American, United... maybe others fly there.
Is Hawaiian the best out of all of them?

JlynnB

We love Hawaiian, but we opted for Alaska last year to get a direct flight into Maui out of San Diego and were pretty impressed. I would consider either airline a great choice but probably skip the rest, or at least US Airways for sure. We also flew them last year, again for a direct flight to Maui but this time out of Phoenix. The planes are so old that they don't even have changing tables in any of the rest rooms! Even aside from that it wasn't nearly as nice of an experience. If you're going to Hawaii might as well do it right. :)

ETA: Our B-Safe fit fine on Alaska, so your Keyfit should work great.

Last edited:

MsFacetious

I didn't even know they had changing tables in the bathrooms. :spit:
Like I said, I've never flown with a baby before so this is new territory for me.

1. Hawaiian
2. Alaska
3. Other airlines

I will have to look into where we could fly out of for each airline.
That may be what decides it... I don't think Hawaiian flies out of SLC.
However, we can't always get an Alaska flight out of SLC either.
So if we have to fly Delta somewhere else first, we will try and make it somewhere Hawaiian flies out of. :thumbsup:

MsFacetious

I am thinking a Scenera might make more sense to take though...
We won't have the stroller for the Keyfit... I would have to pack the base (I don't like baseless installs.)
I wouldn't have baby in the seat except for on the plane and in the car...
So we would be hauling an empty infant seat through airports.

The Scenera stacks on luggage well and would be easier to haul around empty.
I will have to see as it gets closer but I'm thinking that is what I would do.
That would also mean I didn't have to uninstall a seat when we fly out and install one when we return.
Then the Scenera could be the spare for a year or so until we get the Boulevard next summer.

If there is a better option in the $50 range I would consider it though. :thumbsup:

JlynnB

I'm not sure which island(s) you're visiting, but Delta offers a direct fight from SLC to Oahu. That's the only direct flight from there to anywhere in Hawaii, as far as I know.

And the changing tables are crazy tiny, so they're easy to miss!

MsFacetious

I don't mind a layover... I just don't love the idea of flying delta to Seattle and then Alaska to Hawaii.
(So I don't want to switch airlines, like we did last time...we were flying standby though.)

It looks like Alaska has some flights from SLC to Hawaii, with a layover. That might work.
I will look into where Hawaiian flies out of and see if any of those are an option too.

JlynnB

I have a Scenera I bought for DD but will probably drop another $50 at some point for a Scenera NEXT, mainly for the easier install. But DD is older now so I want the option of a more upright install, as well. If your little one will only be 3-4 months when you fly I'm guessing you'll need the full recline anyway, so I'd probably keep the cash. :) If you don't like baseless installs I would totally bring a Scenera. I love how light that seat is.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC