I can't decide which car to sell. Help me.

Synchro246

I know I just bought the 2003 Kia Sedona in April, but now I'm thinking of selling it instead of our 1998 Honda Civic.

Here are the pros and cons as I see them, if you have more ideas or insight I'd love for some perspective to help me make this decision.

Kia Sedona Facts:
1.Here's the informed for life info.
5* gov crash test ratings, Acceptable Insurance institute ratings
2. It's got ~55,000 miles on it.
3. It's worth about $6,000-6,500 (we paid $4,200 & put about $250 into it)
4. It gets 22 MPG (I spend ~$50 a week in gas:thumbsdown:)
5. Overall I like the vehicle.

Honda Civic Facts:
1. Here are the links to the IIHS & Gov ratings.
Overall it get's an Acceptable rating from the insurance institue & 4* frontal 3* side impact from the Gov ratings. The main issue I have is the "safety concern" for the rear seat occupants in a side impact. This is right where my kids' seats are :thumbsdown:
Due to the intrusion of the left rear door during the side impact test, the interior door panel struck the pelvis of the rear seated dummy, causing a high pelvic acceleration. High pelvic accelerations, in excess of 130 g's, have a higher likelihood of Pelvic fracture.
2. It's got ~155,000 miles on it
3. It's worth about $3,200-3,600
4. It gets 34 MPG :thumbsup:
5. Overall I like the vehicle, however I do not feel as safe in it as it's so small & it's got that rear seat issue.

Now that I write it out the only reasons to keep the civic would be gas mileage and getting about $3000 more by selling the van. Pretty much it's a financial thing, I guess.

WWYD?

ADS

southpawboston

synchro, since the sedona got five stars in NHTSA side impact but wasn't tested by IIHS, that caused the score to go down. if you were to make an assumption that IIHS's side impact test would be similar to NHTSA's (let's say "acceptable" if not "good", just to be on the safe side), then the score would jump to 78... not too bad at all for a 2003 vehicle. that's why i really don't like informedforlife... too many people just look at the score and don't realize that their vehicle may be penalized for not having had a particular crash test done.

the civic is nowwhere near as safe as the sedona.

if you spend $50 a week on gas for the sedona, let's assume you'd pay $37 a week for gas for the civic. if you got rid of the sedona, you'd really only save about $675 a year on gas. is that worth it for the added safety (and convenience, i assume) of the sedona?

Synchro246

. . .

the civic is nowwhere near as safe as the sedona.

if you spend $50 a week on gas for the sedona, let's assume you'd pay $37 a week for gas for the civic. if you got rid of the sedona, you'd really only save about $675 a year on gas. is that worth it for the added safety (and convenience, i assume) of the sedona?

Ok. Good. Ok. Thank you so much! After I posted I was leaning that way & you saying that pushed me right into certainy land.
I will be listing my good old honda for sale tonight!
thanks

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC