Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

5 children - newborn to 9 years - what would be a good fit?

We have a less than 1 year old Town & Country 2011. Totally worked for us in price and when we had 4 children. Now that we are due in June with #5, and having to have 3 in the 3rd row (with the crappy seat belts), it is just not working. We were just debating trading it in for an 8 passenger but hadn't gotten very far in figuring that out and then, 2 weeks ago, a garbage truck backed into our van. The frame is damaged. People are telling us to see if they will total it out because of the frame being damaged and who knows if they will be able to repair so that car is back to what it used to be. Not to mention, the value will go considerably down which will make it hard to trade in for a different car. A little stressful.
    We have a rental right now - 2015 Kia Sedona and love it! But wondering if there are any other suggestions out there. Is it really only Sienna or Odyssey? Hubby would even by interested in looking at a Suburban:0 I don't know the outcome with this stupid garbage truck business but feel I should be prepared nonetheless. I just want a safe car to transport my family that we will all fit comfortably - is this impossible?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: 5 children - newborn to 9 years - what would be a good fit?

Yes, Odyssey, Sienna, 2015 Sedona are the only 8 passenger minivans on the market.

My first recommendation is to REALLY test drive any vehicle you're going to purchase. That means take all your kids and all your car seats and see how close you can come to getting them all in in an acceptable configuration. (I'm assuming you have an infant seat to try out, even if it's expired.) Bear in mind that you might not get a perfect install with your existing car seats anywhere, but if you can't even come close, that's probably not the vehicle for you.

CPS Fanatic

Re: 5 children - newborn to 9 years - what would be a good fit?

We have 6 kids newborn to age 8 and the 8 seater Odyssey (2011 or newer) is wonderful.
    6 carseats or boosters fit, with use of an Incognito for my 8 YO 3rd row.
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car