Need help choosing a new car

AutumnGoddess

Hello
My husband and i have a 2013 Dodge Grand caravan that we hate with a passion. Not only it has zero vents in the back for our 4 kids but the seating arrangements suck.

we are currently just looking around but want to buy a new car later on. I came on here to figure out if anyone could help us.

I would like a top tether in the 3rd row as much as the second row.
A/C and Heat vents in 2nd and 3rd row.
A lot of leg room and trunk room for groceries and tools
Comfortable for everyone.

We have 4 kids
1st child FF Backless booster Graco 10 1/2 (with the anchor) outboard behind driver
2nd child FF Backless booster Graco almost 9 Side next to my son 3rd Row
3rd is in a Diono FF 5 yrs old 3rd row middle (son)
4th child RF Chicco Nextfit zip outboard (behind passenger) (17 Months)

we are wanting a 5th child, no idea when but we do need enough room for a 5th later on that will also be in a RF position. My 4th is a girl, she will be RF for a long time. she is 17 months old

I looked at the Nissan Rogue and i thought i would like it because of the price but i saw a 2014 video of a guy demonstrating a carseat. he said 3rd row has no Tether and it has to be requested to get a 3rd row. We dont want that. we want a car already comes like that.

Other cars in mind are the pathfinder,Honda Pilot, Nissan Quest, Toyota Highlander, Maybe the Dodge Journey.

Honda Odyssey, Armada and Dodge Durango out of our price range.

ADS

lgenne

The Pilot and the Quest are in your price range, but the Odyssey is out of your range? The Pilot is more expensive than the Odyssey, and the Quest is very similarly priced to the Odyssey.

The Quest has a VERY narrow 3rd row, and it's a 7 seater, so getting 5 kids in is tight to say the least.

I would look for a used Odyssey (2011+) over anything else you've listed for fitting that many kids. The 8 seat Odyssey has 5 full sets of LATCH and a tether anchor in the center 3rd row (so a tether anchor in every seat except the front seats). The Pilot is the only other vehicle on the market like that, and it has way less storage space, costs more, has worse gas mileage, and is more cramped inside.

If that's still out of your price range, I'd look for a pre-2011 Odyssey or Sienna. They were both redesigned in 2011, and the previous model for both was pretty nice for actually hauling lots of kids/car seats around.

AutumnGoddess

The Pilot and the Quest are in your price range, but the Odyssey is out of your range? The Pilot is more expensive than the Odyssey, and the Quest is very similarly priced to the Odyssey.

The Quest has a VERY narrow 3rd row, and it's a 7 seater, so getting 5 kids in is tight to say the least.

I would look for a used Odyssey (2011+) over anything else you've listed for fitting that many kids. The 8 seat Odyssey has 5 full sets of LATCH and a tether anchor in the center 3rd row (so a tether anchor in every seat except the front seats). The Pilot is the only other vehicle on the market like that, and it has way less storage space, costs more, has worse gas mileage, and is more cramped inside.

If that's still out of your price range, I'd look for a pre-2011 Odyssey or Sienna. They were both redesigned in 2011, and the previous model for both was pretty nice for actually hauling lots of kids/car seats around.

thanks! I actually found a link on this forum of a nissan quest and it looks like its just too small in the 3rd row. i like the Pathfinder. it has 3rd row and going to go look at it.
we are not doing a used old van or suv. We like new cars and my husband will never do used either.

are Jeeps more expensive? Do they have 3rd rows?

jjordan

Would a Kia Sedona be an option, price-wise? I really think a minivan is the way to go with 4-5 kids, unless you get a really huge SUV (in which case you're going to spending a lot more money than you will with a minivan).

AutumnGoddess

Would a Kia Sedona be an option, price-wise? I really think a minivan is the way to go with 4-5 kids, unless you get a really huge SUV (in which case you're going to spending a lot more money than you will with a minivan).

Nope. my husband wants matching cars. hes super picky.
i havent looked at the sedona yet...
my concern is the seating arrangements and hopes someone here could help.

i have 4 kids again... 2 in backless boosters and 2 in 5 pt carseats. the 3rd row seats slant weird. i think everyone knows this about the dodge grand caravan. if we go with any other Van/Suv i need to find one that has no seats like that and to see if there is a way to have 3 kids in the 3rd row.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
thanks! I actually found a link on this forum of a nissan quest and it looks like its just too small in the 3rd row. i like the Pathfinder. it has 3rd row and going to go look at it.
we are not doing a used old van or suv. We like new cars and my husband will never do used either.

are Jeeps more expensive? Do they have 3rd rows?

The current Nissan Quest since 2010 is a full size minivan with a third row that is relatively comfortable for adults, especially compared to any midsize or smaller SUV's third row seat. It's not quite as flexible for carseats as the Odyssey, but still a reasonable option.

The 3-row equivalent of a Jeep Grand Cherokee is the Dodge Durango. It has one of the roomier 3rd rows for a midsize SUV, but you are unlikely to find any midsize SUV with a third row that is comfortable for older kids or adults on anything but a very short trip. Almost all of them have third row seat cushions that are very low to the floor and provide no thigh support once a child is out of a booster. Many lack the top tether anchors for forward-facing child restraints and don't have the legroom for taller rear-facing ones. Some are simply not as wide and don't offer the same legroom or adjustability or access as a minivan.

We have reviews of all the current minivans and many 3-row SUVs at www.carseatblog.com .

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC