Got my nephew out of an expired seat!

Beloved

I have been telling my sister for almost a year that I have a spare car-seat she can use. I wasn't sure the cosco HBB she had for her almost 3 year old was expired, but it sure looked old and his shoulders were higher than the top slots. She said he was uncomfortable and finally took me up on my offer (and the seat was expired by a year). Thankfully her pediatrician had gotten on her for putting her older son in a booster at 3 and told her the law was 4 (not sure VA has that law, but I'll take it). She just couldn't leave him in the seat for another year with the low harness slots. If the doc hadn't said anything she would have found a booster for him when he turned 3 this summer. So glad my extra SureRide was in my van when I went to visit yesterday. Now he has plenty of growing room and I even attached the top Tether (she had never used one - usually removing them from the seat because they were in the way).

ADS

1mommy

Good job! It's always nice to know your relatives are ridding safe even if they think you are crazy! Now you just need to convince your sister that its easier to leave him in his car seat then put him in a booster.

Beloved

I told her she can use the seat as long as she needs. Hope he is at least 4 and 40# before she returns it.

She does think I am crazy - My 3.5 year old was RFing in the SureRide last week. Now maybe I can justify getting a Scenera NEXT for my almost 2 year-old (just because).

1mommy

LOL, yea my relatives think I am crazy too, I bought a Maestro last year on clearance for around $25 and traded with my sister for her Classic Britax Marathon that my mom bought for her at a garage sale. My Mom also had my niece in an old Evenflo seat (again bought at a garage sale) with a 40 pound weight limit, and when I mentioned it to my mom she said "well I don't think shes 40 pounds yet".... :eek: My mom then bought another Maestro from a family friend and now uses that for my niece so I traded in the old Evenflo seat the trade in event.. sigh. I need to get my parents out of the habit of buying seats at garage sales, luckily they do not transport the grand kids very often, and when they transport my kids I insist they use the seats that I bought.

brooksfamily

Good for you!

My family is the same. My mom had my niece riding in a fisher price seat that belonged to my cousin, who is roughly 8 years older than she is, so it was def. expired. My sister let it happen because she didn't want to buy her another seat. I actually ended up going out and buying a Graco Nautilius for her because at the time as limited as my knowledge was about car seats I knew it wasn't safe. Not only was it old but she was taller than the shell of the seat. My sister also recently gave her neighbors my niece's Evenflo Triumph. My niece is turning 11 on the 14th. The seat is beyond expired. I don't know why she even still had it.

When I had my daughter I bought in installed a carseat base for my parents and when we moved her to a convertible I offered to buy a car seat for them to use to be sure they had a good seat. But thankfully, as long as I ordered and shipped they were willing to reimburse me.

But they ALL think I'm nuts that my daughter still rearfaces at 2+. Because I got tired of defending I finally just told them that NC changed the law to 2. This winter when we were visiting my mom told me that in NY I could just turn her around because the law wasn't 2 there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC