Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Traveling with a Foonf vs buying another seat

Hello!

We are going on vacation in a month or so, and trying to figure out if it makes more sense to spend the $130 for the Weelee and lug the Foonf around (we would gate check and use the cares harness in flight), or if it makes more sense to buy a cheaper/lighter seat.

I am a little nervous about checking it, because I don't want it ruined, but I also want her to be safe and protected while driving (obviously) and I know she likes her Foonf.

We'll be driving from/to the airport, along with one longer hour+ drive, so I want something I can feel comfortable with her in.

She's 2.5, 26lbs, still RF.

I'd obviously like to keep costs down since we're essentially buying a seat for vacation -- we would also probably use it in our other car once we got back, but she rarely/if ever rides in that one.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Traveling with a Foonf vs buying another seat

Really I would suggest getting a Scenera Next or a Guide 65 - the only reason I recommend the Guide is that I heard that the child can use the tray table while using it FF on the flight, I don't know if the Next will allow that. All seats pass the same test so I wouldn't be concerned about it's safety. Not to mention with the thousands of these sold I'm sure we would have heard about it if it was failing in crashes. Comfort maybe, but kids are a lot less picky then adults and a lot more adaptable.

Personally I'd skip the cares harness and just use the Scenera or Guide, I know its a pain to lug it around the airport and on the plane, but really my son is most comfortable in his own car seat it seems to be the only place he can sit still in which to me would be worth it. I have no personal experience with the Cares Harness but I've heard that the plane seatbelt does not fit a child until they are 40 pounds and in worst case scenario I would not want my child flopping around in their seat during turbulence. But its your child and you know them best.
    Mommy to Jake, a.k.a Booger Breath #1- born March 2012 and Sawyer, my little "Soy Bean"- born May 2014

Playing the Car Seat Shuffle between a True Fit Premier, Guide 65, Graco MySize, Graco Milestone and a Maxi Cosi Pria

Carseat Crazy

I personally wouldn't check or gate check a Foonf. I don't check my Britax seat. I feel like they are heavy and could get easily damaged and it's too expensive to risk it.

I know CARES are often not recommended for young toddlers, unless you feel that your child is mature enough not to unbuckle the seat belt. Mine was 2 in Jan. and in our case I'd say def. not.

I agree with 1mommy, that the guide 65 or the NEXT would be your best bet. In your case, I'd probably pick the NEXT. The Guide 65 does last longer, but your lo is small like mine and would likely be able to rf in the Next until 4. People complain about the Guide 65 rf install, and I wouldn't want to be dealing with that in a rental car.

I would get some bungee cords, a luggage cart like this:

Amazon.com: Lewis N. Clark Folding Luggage Cart,Black,One Size: Clothing

and a lightweight travel seat like the Scenera APT 40 or an Evenflo Sureride DLX (taller, but will ultimately last longer). I would use the seat on the plane -- since she's 2 I'm assuming you had to buy a seat for her anyway.

No way I would lug around a foonf or gate check any seat, let alone an expensive one.
    CPST and Mom to:
    DS 12/05 {60# and 55.5"}
    DD 6/08 {56# and 51.5"} in an Incognito

Thank you all SO much! That was definitely the way I was leaning, and I'm sure my husband will appreciate not having to lug the Foonf around!

We used the CARES for my other daughter when she was 2 and she loved it! This one is a bit squirmier though. Maybe I'll have to do a mock up while sitting in the car or something and see how she likes it for a bit.

Thank you all again! You've made me feel much better about this!

I'm in complete agreement with leaving the Foonf home and getting a lightweight, inexpensive travel seat and using it on the plane.

Would not recommend the Apt. It's hugely wide.

I agree that a Scenera NEXT, Guide 65 or SureRide would be your best bets. They each have their pluses and minuses. I think in your shoes I'd go with the NEXT for ease of RF install (the SureRide is easy to install RF but takes up a large amount of space front to back).

You could get a Scenera NEXT now AND then a Maestro for a FF travel seat when it's time to FF, for less than the Weelee.
    Mom to tall guy, 6, in a Frontier 90 and Graco Affix
    - - - and small guy (not so small any more!), 3, RFing in a Clek Fllo and Cosco Scenera NEXT

Unbuckling the seatbelt isn't the only problem with the CARES; the lap belt doesn't typically fit adequately on kids until they're too big for the CARES. They're at risk of slipping under the belt because there's no crotch strap.
    - - - and small guy (not so small any more!), 3, RFing in a Clek Fllo and Cosco Scenera NEXT

Admittedly I'm not up to date on my lightweight travel seat dimensions as my kids are out of convertibles. So ignore my APT recommendation and look into the others that were suggested I just know the regular Scenera can be a hard RF install but perhaps the Next is much easier. And yes, the Evenflo SureRide would possibly be a difficult RF install due to the height of the shell. Your DD seems like a peanut so at least that gives you more choices before she would outgrow by height or weight.
    CPST and Mom to:
    DS 12/05 {60# and 55.5"}
    DD 6/08 {56# and 51.5"} in an Incognito

We have the Scenera Next as our travel/in case of emergency in the non used car seat for my 21 month old (23lbs, 33in) DD and it works great for us! My only suggestion is to tighten the harness before putting it on the plane as it was awkward to adjust once installed if you choose to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    Admittedly I'm not up to date on my lightweight travel seat dimensions as my kids are out of convertibles. So ignore my APT recommendation and look into the others that were suggested I just know the regular Scenera can be a hard RF install but perhaps the Next is much easier. And yes, the Evenflo SureRide would possibly be a difficult RF install due to the height of the shell. Your DD seems like a peanut so at least that gives you more choices before she would outgrow by height or weight.
    The NEXT is much easier to install RF than the original Scenera and doesn't typically require pool noodles.

I've found the SureRide to be very easy to install RF if it fits; the question is just whether it fits with its tall shell and having only one recline line. It fits fine in the center of some even quite small cars, with the back of the seat fitting in between the front seatbacks. If you do need recline adjustment on a RF SureRide, it needs a rolled towel as a pool noodle doesn't really work with the RF recline foot.

CPS Fanatic

I would take the lightest, cheapest seat for vacation.
    We always used Sceneras. I carried a pool noodle and it was not hard at all. It was all I knew, though.

In the past, the cheapest seat has always been the lightest seat.

And if you have the space, you can seat her in the middle of a vehicle, perhaps? So she'd be really safe.
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car

I just want to quickly add that if you were to decide to check your Foonf in the Weelee, the Weelee has been designed to protect the Foonf when it's been checked as luggage. We obviously can't guarantee how it's going to be handled - but have done due diligence in designing the weelee bag to protect the Foonf from the typical handling that happens when a bag is checked.

Happy travels!

Trudy ~ CRST-IT and Child Passenger Safety Advocate

14. Thank You from: