Carseat or no carseat for plane...

bearwithmoi

We fly a lot and my husband is complaining about carrying the Roundabout through the airport. We have the go go kidz, but the problem with that is that you have to unhook it from the carseat to put it through security (it won't fit through the scanner attached). And then unhook it to get down the aisle - the go go kidz hardly seems worth the hassle. (The last 2 trips I put the carseat in the stroller and made my dd walk through the airport).

Our 2.5 y/o will outgrown the RA in the next few months (37.5 inches, 32 pounds). The RA is difficult in the plane because you cannot use the tray with it. But with the base, I know the Marathon has the same issue. My question is, should we get a Radian for plane travel, or at this point would anyone (or any of you, specifically) put your child on a plane without a carseat?

Also - do you trust checking your carseat? Knowing how luggage is tossed around, will a carseat make it unscathed?

Thanks

ADS

crunchierthanthou

I would never check a carseat, and I absolutely wouldn't put a child that young on a plane without a carseat.

I agree on both counts. It's not worth the potential damage of checking it, even at the gate. It's much safer to use it on the plane and you might as keep it with you if you're going to need it at your destination anyway. There are inexpensive straps that can connect a carseat to a wheeled carryon, much like the gogo kidz function. That would at least free up a hand by not having to tote the child and the luggage.

The radian is okay as far as getting through the airport and installing on a plane. My hesitation in using it as a travel seat is that it can sometimes be difficult to install in some vehicles. I'd hate to be stuck at the rental parking lot fighting a carseat after a long flight. :twocents:

bearwithmoi

Crunchierthanthou - I think you read my mind re: the radian. My concern is that I'm not going to be able to install it correctly since I'm not a CPS. I usually install the RA in the middle seat of the car, therefore not using the latch and I assume I'd want to do the same for the radian and I've read that it's hard to do the radian with a belt. Though I was pleasantly surprised when the Impala we rented last week had latch in all 3 positions!

skaterbabs

FWIW, the Radian installs pretty easily with locking latchplate vehicles and lap-only belts. There really are very few true incompatibilities, and from what I've seen they're mostly with Asian models (Honda, Toyota, ect.)

waterbaby

Oh, I totally know the hassle with Britax and GoGo Kidz. It's a great thing to have, but attaching and detaching the seat is a PAIN. I heard the newer version allow for the wheels to pop off so one doesn't have to take the whole thing off.

And no, we will not ever check our seats willingly. It's a lot of work to travel with three seats (and my DH lets me know... he puts up a huge stink), but once we're on the plane, I'm so grateful we do it. For the kids to be in a seat, buckled down, is a great thing. And from what I hear, the Radians are ideal for traveling (re: folding, shoulder strap, narrow, allow for the tray to be used), though they are a bit heavy.

That said, we're not using the wheelies next time we travel. It was just too much (we have three seats we travel with). I've contemplated getting Radians for at least the older two and pac-backing the baby's Marathon. It's something I need to decide soon so we have them in time.

skipspin

I attached my Radian to a cheapie luggage cart and all I had to do to go through security was fold the bottom up. They tried to tell me it wouldn't fit, then looked on in awe when I folded it on the cart. LOL

Then, I unfold it and DD can ride in it if need be, although she mostly walked after being in a plane for hours. She is 4 and I would be okay with her riding in just the seatbelt on the plane now, but I had to bring a seat and didnt' want to check it- so I just brought the seat on the plane too. It will also fit down the aisle on the luggage car, so I only had to pick it up to put in on the conveyor and into the airplane seat.

If it didn't roll down the aisle I wouldn't have taken it because I also had DS and his infant seat and diaper bag- and like most of us- only two arms. DS hung in my MeiTai on my back through security and when getting on and off the plane.

lovemyfamily

If you are not going to be using the carseat on the plane, then gate checking it is the safest option. Although at the PHX airport on Monday, there was a woman at the passenger assitance counter for US Airways, which is just next to the gate, so she had gate checked her stroller, that was screaming at the agent about the handle that was completely broken off her Peg Perego P3. So NOTHING is safe for transporting your carseat, other than using it.
IMHO, I am a former flight attendant and my DH is an airline pilot, and we fly with our boys, 6 and 4, about every 3 months, the hassle of lugging the carseat through the airport is worth the safety of your child, as well as knowing your seat will make it to your destination safely. We just flew last week, and my 4yo was insisting he was a big boy, and could sit in the plane seat. He is about 38 lbs. and 40 inches. So we let him on our 2 1/2 hour flight to Phoenix. Not only was I a nervous wreck about how he fit in the plane lap belt, he was miserable and uncomfortable, couldn't see out the window very well, and then when he tried to sleep, he couldn't get comfy. On our flight home, we installed his MA, which installs SO easily on the plane, other than like you said not being able to use the plane tray during flight, he slept 2 of the 2 1/2 hours of our flight.
Just my :twocents

Wanted to add that in every airport we have traveled through, we have NEVER had an issue with security not allowing us to take the carts that they have for rent in the airport, to the gate. Then you just have to get your gear down the jetway. IF I got to security with all my stuff and they told me I couldn't take my cart, I would ask for a supervisor's assistance in getting it to the gate. THAT is what the carts are for.

Last edited:

VLsMom

We recently flew with our Scenera on the plane and we hooked the car seat to DH's suitcase (which is pulled with wheels). We used a short luggage strap and wrapped the strap around the Scenera's harness straps on the back of the seat, and hooked the strap loop around the top carrying handle of the suitcase. Maybe that doesn't make sense....but the Scenera's harness straps are open and visible from the back of the seat, so it provided an easy loop-on spot (and since its such a lightweight seat, we could hardly even tell we were "pulling" it along). This avoids having to buy the expensive go go thing.

happyfrog

i have 2 backpack things that i put roundabouts in. i then put a roundabout on my back, along with my dh having the other roundabout on his back. I then push a single stroller in front, while dragging behind me a carryon wheeled/handled luggage. My dh does similarly. (we have 2 kids) my carry on bag used to be full of baby 'stuff' - toys, food, breast pump, diapers, epipens and meds (i have severely allergic kid). his carry on bag was all our clothing - enough for 3 days each person - no matter how long we're gone - 3 days or months, we fit EVERYTHING into a carry on. i do not check luggage.

the roundabout is bulky on the back but it works as long as you walk carefully down the airline aisle and don't get stuck on seats as you walk.

i got my backpack from www.arunningstroller.com i bought the covers at the same time i bought the car seats so i'd have the flight thing covered, esp since i've had to fly alone with my kids. when i do it alone, i use a luggage holder wheeled thing and put my carry on luggage on it, with a roundabout securely bungied to it while pushing a double stroller and having that pusehd with one hand behind me, while i push the stroller with the other hand in front of me with the second car seat on my back. . .. when i do it alone, i use a diaper bag to hold the meds, food and diapers and is called officially 'my handbag' so that i don't have to check it. . .. (you're allowed 2 items to carry on usually per person and since I buy tickets for my kids, I'm actually way under limit anyway).

yeah i get lots of looks.

hth

bettyann
ps in the backpack on top of the seat, i usually put their favorite stuffed animal and blanket that they like for sleepy times. .. .

jeno

Senior Community Member
We've been flying with a Roundabout for 20 month. On our last trip, I bought a gogo Kidz because the Roundabout was about to be replaced with a Marathon. I returned it after that trip. It was a nightmare compared to all of our previous trips.

We typically have 1 of 2 ways of carrying the seat.

1. We place DC in the Roundabout in our Peg P3 stroller.

2. We bring our smaller Mac umbrella and just lengthen the harness straps on the Roundabout and throw it over our shoulders like a backpack.

Neither way has been invasive and my DH has never complained. In fact, he is always the first to comment on how well behaved DS is fastened in his seat than than the other toddlers fussing, climbing, running around.

Niea

Wanted to add that in every airport we have traveled through, we have NEVER had an issue with security not allowing us to take the carts that they have for rent in the airport, to the gate. Then you just have to get your gear down the jetway. IF I got to security with all my stuff and they told me I couldn't take my cart, I would ask for a supervisor's assistance in getting it to the gate. THAT is what the carts are for.

I was just in PHX last Friday flying USAirways too, and they would not let the rental carts through security. The TSA agents were very clear about it and made a woman (right behind me, actually) lug all her stuff by herself. A supervisor even talked her about it because she was pretty upset. I don't know if she got help after she actually got through security, but nobody was willing to help her until then.

lovemyfamily

I was just in PHX last Friday flying USAirways too, and they would not let the rental carts through security. The TSA agents were very clear about it and made a woman (right behind me, actually) lug all her stuff by herself. A supervisor even talked her about it because she was pretty upset. I don't know if she got help after she actually got through security, but nobody was willing to help her until then.

75% of our travel is in and out of the Phoenix airport, and I have NEVER had them tell me I cannot take my cart through security. We always travel US Airways since DH is a pilot with them. When I flew out of there Monday night, my DH was not with us, we met him at the gate he was arriving from Houston at, just the 2 boys and myself, I had DS#1's MA on the cart, along with my diaper bag. I walked right through the security line, they checked my ID and I then unloaded my things on the belt, pushed my cart to the little wall that opens for wheelchairs, and didn't say a word to anyone about it. I gathered my things on the other side of the belt, and waited, while they tipped my cart over and searched it and the agent wheeled it over to me, no questions asked. I would say that lady got a bum deal, since like I said, I have been traveling with kids, carts etc. at the Phoenix airport since DS#1 was born in 2001, and never had a problem taking my cart through.

Niea

75% of our travel is in and out of the Phoenix airport, and I have NEVER had them tell me I cannot take my cart through security. We always travel US Airways since DH is a pilot with them. When I flew out of there Monday night, my DH was not with us, we met him at the gate he was arriving from Houston at, just the 2 boys and myself, I had DS#1's MA on the cart, along with my diaper bag. I walked right through the security line, they checked my ID and I then unloaded my things on the belt, pushed my cart to the little wall that opens for wheelchairs, and didn't say a word to anyone about it. I gathered my things on the other side of the belt, and waited, while they tipped my cart over and searched it and the agent wheeled it over to me, no questions asked. I would say that lady got a bum deal, since like I said, I have been traveling with kids, carts etc. at the Phoenix airport since DS#1 was born in 2001, and never had a problem taking my cart through.

Oh I didn't mean to imply you were wrong or anything, I just wanted to share my experience this past Friday. Yeah, maybe it was just a few grumpy people working or something. . it was incredibly busy (6pm on a Friday!).

But I totally believe you because obviously you have a lot more experience with it than I do. But next time I'm in a situation where I need the cart at the gate, I'll give it a shot. :thumbsup:

lovemyfamily

Oh I didn't mean to imply you were wrong or anything, I just wanted to share my experience this past Friday. Yeah, maybe it was just a few grumpy people working or something. . it was incredibly busy (6pm on a Friday!).

But I totally believe you because obviously you have a lot more experience with it than I do. But next time I'm in a situation where I need the cart at the gate, I'll give it a shot. :thumbsup:

I didn't think you were saying I was wrong, no worries. :) I was just describing what happened to us. Maybe I am more matter of fact about it, when I travel, and dealing with TSA, which I cannot stand doing, that I don't even give them a chance to not let me take it. hehe That honestly is what those carts are there for, and it is CRAP that they didn't let that poor lady take hers, Especially since you have to pay to rent the carts, around $3, unless you find one in the parking garage.

purple826

We have the FPSVD (stripped down Marathon) and it does say not to carry by the harness straps. You can carry by the shell or the top tether though.

We got a Scenera for our flight at Christmas. We're hoping the flight's not full or we'll have to gate-check it :( .

~nikki

niccig

I would keep taking your car seat. I've got a posted pic of my safety first uptown attached to the back of the stroller.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/niccig03/Stroller Car Seat Set-Up/strollercarseat2.jpg

We took one flight with DS not in his seat, we had the CARES harness and we were on American but an international flight and the CARES is only for domestic flights. They let us use it after take off. But it was difficult with DS, and he was about 2.5 yo. The car seat is sooo much easier.

Next year, we're visiting family in Australia. We may not be able to take DS's seat on the plane. Air NZ and Qantas have their own rules. I'm going to try, but they may not allow it. In that case, I'll have to check it - in a bag with lots of extra padding. If it doesn't get there in one piece, I'll be going to the closest Target, while DS waits at the airport with my parents. I won't like it, but if there's no other way, I have no choice but to follow the airline's rules.

Nicci

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC