Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

UAS boosters - yay or nay?

We needed a new backless booster for DD, so I bought a Graco Affix today. No matter how many times I remind her, she often forgets to buckle her seat when she gets out so I thought this would be perfect.

Then today I read this:
    https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicl...report-924.htm

which suggests that boosters attached with UAS cause injury more often than those that don't.

Thoughts/feelings on the matter? I'm sure I can still use the seat without the anchors, but it sure is more convenient (I drive the car more often without DD than with her).
    DD - 1/20/06 - 58 lbs, 54", Graco AFFIX, Harmony, Graco TurboBooster
    DS - 4/19/09 - 44 lbs, 48", Graco TurboBooster

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: UAS boosters - yay or nay?

I personally opt to loosely LATCH my boosters. IMO, this prevents that forward-tilt loading as described in the TC article, but still prevents the booster from becoming a projectile. (As someone who is both terrible at buckling in unused boosters AND who has had an unbuckled booster fly in a crash, LATCHable boosters are of significant importance to me.)
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Re: UAS boosters - yay or nay?

This testing was done in 2009. While it may have relevance today, the conclusion was that real life crashes are not showing some of these issues. They also didn't test any highback boosters with lower latch or any no back boosters without rigid latch. And the results that showed issues were with the dummies slouching.

My kids don't use boosters until they can sit upright in them, so these results don't bother me. My kids sit with their butts back and in seats that aren't likely to make them want to slouch, but if they did slouch at all, we'd get a new booster. I have no issues using our Ollis for my older kids. They fit them really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCO 4/15