Minivans and the small overlap crash test

babybear1003

Hi everyone,
We are expecting our third child and looking to purchase a minivan. I had the crap scared out of me by watching small overlap crash test footage, in which many/most of the vans had terrible results, and that has put the Honda Odyssey at he front of my list because it was the only one to get a "good" rating.

The problem? I'm going to pay a LOT more for this than I was intending. We were originally thinking to get a 2012 or so used model, which are going for $20,000. The used 2014 (first year the overlap was tested) is going for $30,000. Yikes.

I would probably be wrong to assume that if the 2014 had a "good" rating that the 2013 would have had one too if tested? I am super, extremely anxious about car and car seat safety, so I don't want to gamble on a van that we're likely going to drive for the next 8-10 years. But yea, that extra $10 grand is a killer.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Honda did make changes for the 2014 Odyssey in order to do well in the small overlap crash test from the IIHS. Toyota did the same for the 2015 Sienna.

It's impossible to say how well the previous year models would have done in this test, but pretty safe to say they would not have done as well. Otherwise, they wouldn't have spent the money to improve and test them mid-cycle and likely would have waited until the all new models are released in a year or two. In the case of the Odyssey, their own testing shows it may not have done well before the re-design:

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...-revamped-minivan-seeks-crash-test-redemption

Personally, I think an "Acceptable" rating is reasonable to consider as well, especially if all the other IIHS and NHTSA crash test results are good. Small overlap frontal crashes are a smaller percentage of crashes than full frontal (NHTSA) or moderate overlap offset (IIHS) crashes. That would make the 2015 Sienna and Kia Sedona worth consideration also.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
All that said, I think a used minivan like Odyssey, Sienna or Sedona is still among the safest vehicles on the road, even if they may not have done well in the new small overlap test.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC