Help me pick a booster (again)

lgenne

I can't find my old topic, but I just saw the review of the Kidfit (which I bought, but is still in its box) and realized that the LATCH on the Kidfit isn't good enough to keep the high back portion from being a projectile. Which means I'm ready to return it.

So. Graco Affix? Parkway SGL? Performance Booster? Anything else? It needs to fit my Mazda 5 (2nd row) and my large, long-waisted, short-legged 5.5 year old. Stretchy 4T pants are the right length and fit over his butt, size 6-7 shirts are baggy but don't show his belly button.

ADS

jwilliams

I'd go with the Parkway. Taller than the Affix and KidFit, but probably a better fit on a child with short legs than the Recaro, which is deeeep.

I think a LATCH-able booster that you have to buckle is asinine. Seriously.

jwilliams

I'm 99% sure all other LATCHable boosters require you to buckle them up, too?

When unoccupied? I thought one of the big draws of LATCH-able boosters was that you don't have to buckle them when they are unoccupied, since the LATCH takes care of it being a possible projectile.

lgenne

We mean when the kid isn't in them. The point of LATCH on a booster is so the booster itself isn't a projectile in a collision. Except only half of the Kidfit is a non-projectile when LATCHed.

jwilliams, that's just what I was thinking reading reviews.

lgenne

From the Parkway SGL manual I just looked up:

• Secure this booster seat with a vehicle child restraint anchorage system or a vehicle seat belt even when it is not occupied. In a crash, an unsecured booster seat may injure other occupants.

So I think no, this is a Kidfit quirk.

bnsnyde

I am sure my Harmony Youth requires buckling (yeah, no latch) but when my 7 YO jumps out of the third row for school carline, and the others follow...there is NO way. We already take the longest of any family.

It does always have the seatbelt through one armrest, which probably would not do much but it's something. And it'd hopefully fly into the second row seat, not my head way up front. If that seat latched I'd be one happy mama. It is the only booster that fit for her in the spot. Had a Clek backless we tried and loved but it sat on the buckle latched. :(

kaitlyn

Senior Community Member
I think Cybex requires buckling even when using lower anchors on their boosters, or at least used to because I remember it being a conversation piece when someone noticed it.

bnsnyde

There is a Cybex in Nana's car but I cannot for the life of me get her to buckle it empty.

And the latch didn't seem to fit in her car, either!

Cnidaria

If they would've just stuck a tether strap on top of the Kidfit and then said lower anchors + tether is enough <roll eyes>

That is disappointing about the LATCH inadequacy. :(

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I agree that it's disappointing (we all want to "set it and forget it") but I guess they had a reason for stating that. It makes me wonder about the other boosters that say just the lower anchor connectors are enough when unoccupied. Is it really? Are they testing for that? Or is it just another case of looking the other way because FMVSS 213 doesn't require that specific testing?

I don't have the answers, clearly, but writing that KidFit review made me ponder the situation. Personally, if the seat works for you in all other respects - I wouldn't let that one thing be the dealbreaker. Especially since we don't know for sure if it's a major concern and that it also doesn't apply to all the other LATCHable HBBs on the market.

Just my :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC