It's here! Recaro Start photos and first impressions

scatterbunny

I love the seat! :D It's in perfect shape, so soft and pretty. I've heard it's a PITA to adjust, and yeah, it is...but it doesn't need to be adjusted often at all, so no big deal for us. I can't figure out how to adjust the seat depth yet, so in the photos you'll see that it's nowhere near deep enough for Hayley's legs; but I'm sure once I figure out how to make it deeper it'll be great.

It's the highest-quality seat I've ever seen, hands-down. Hayley really likes it, too. I was afraid she'd complain and want to ride in the Bodyguard because the Start's seat is so short right now, but she insisted on using the Start the whole drive home, almost 2 hours, and even napped comfortably. :love:

The shoulderbelt lockoff takes some getting used to, but I like it, especially after reading that Canadian booster safety study. Hayley insisted I "lock her down" nice and tight. :p

Here's my first pics, taken quickly with the Start sitting on my bed: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0603/scatterbunny/Booster Comparisons/Recaro Start/

ADS

ccjones

Yay! Awesome find! Now you'll have to update your siggy! :D Did the lady ever say why she was selling it so CHEAP? Maybe she didn't know how much the Start costs IRL?

scatterbunny

She just didn't need it anymore, and didn't really care about making a profit. She figured she'd price it according to what other used boosters go for, since not many would pay big bucks for a Recaro around here (the name is not well-known in child safety here).

If I can talk Hayley into sitting in it in the van tonight to take a few pics I will update my siggy. ;)

Not sure on dimensions; I'll get those later tonight! I don't think it's a good candidate for three-across, despite how narrow it appears in some of the pics.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
When you turn it upside down in bright light, you can see the bar and the 6+ horizontal grooves on the bottom of the seat (not the bar at the very front, there's another one deeper under the seat)...you sort of push the plastic seat pan up and pull it out and try to push it back down on the bar in the right groove... i just go with the furthest out all the time... then you have to be careful when you put the seat in the car to not put it in recline accidentally, or get the seat pan up so that the bar falls out of the groove.. some seats are looser than others (one of mine folds and one reclines when you look at them mean... )so I hope yours is easy to adjust but stays put!

I'm so glad she likes it!!!

We have two that work for three across in the back of my van, which is narrow, BUT... three across has to be my ds' skinny butt in the center (with the seatbelt, he almost passes the five step test back there)...the armrests are a tad bulky to work around...:twocents:

scatterbunny

Thanks, Julie! That makes sense, and I just downloaded the manual from the Recaro website and quickly read the adjustments part, so I think I got it. :) I'm going to go play with it in a bit and take measurements and stuff.

scatterbunny

Thanks, Erin. :)

Okay, nine new photos added to the link I posted earlier in this thread: six photos of the Start in the vehicle, with Hayley in the seat, adjusted to the proper depth for her long legs. Also three pics of her in the Britax Bodyguard, comparing some of the features (headwings, seat depth, belt positioning).

What measurements should I take? Really quickly I measured it at 17 inches wide at the seating area and lapbelt path, 19 inches wide at the widest point, which is the shoulder/torso wings on the narrowest setting. I have not adjusted them to the widest setting yet, so I don't know what that is. At 17 inches, it might not be awful for some three-across situations, depending on how the seats meshed. The placement of the shoulder/torso wings might be in the way with some seats, and the "tallness" of the seating portion and lapbelt path might make buckling next to other seats difficult, particularly with short buckle stalks.

Hayley is sick, sick enough to stay home from school today (even though her uncle is here for the week, so he could have watched her while I went to pick up the Start, but she insisted on going), but she mostly enjoyed posing for these pics. :p

Jordynsmama

Ugh jealous... I love it! Looks very plush and pretty and such good sip. It fits her so well. Btw she is such a pretty girl! Love the haircut and gosh is she tall.

my lil niece travels in one of these when she is in my care. i can even play music through the head rest. My seat is a 2004. Didn't cost a cent either :)

ZephyrBlue

Oh, that's a niiiiice seat! :thumbsup: I would use it, too, since it's not a plastic framed harnessed seat. Hayley's such a pretty girlie :love: and it looks like she loves her new boosters! :)

arly1983

I am sooooo jealous.....is it wrong of me to want one of those and my children are years away from boosters?....

Looks good, Jenny!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC