Moms of older girls in 5-point harnesses

ThreeBeans

What do you do about the dresses:confused:

DD is still a baby and her legs are short and so are her dresses. LOL. It's easy to snap her in.

What about an older girl with a knee length or longer dress. Modesty issues? I would have freaked out starting around five if someone tried to move my dress to buckle a carseat.

ADS

Shaunam

Hmmm...maybe by then the kid can buckle herself in and adjust her clothes as needed? Or just not wear really long skirts? I dunno. LOL

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Bitsy pushes her skirt up and gripes (it's long skirts...very flowy, and a tightish denim skirt? that's only for the schoolbus, lol) and buckles herself :D. Do you think you would have freaked about it if you never knew any different, though?....

ThreeBeans

Bitsy pushes her skirt up and gripes (it's long skirts...very flowy, and a tightish denim skirt? that's only for the schoolbus, lol) and buckles herself :D. Do you think you would have freaked about it if you never knew any different, though?....

Yup. I was an icredibly modest kid. I wouldn't allow anyone to help me in the shower, toilet or getting dressed starting when I was about four. I didn't like wearing bathing suits, and insisted on wearing t-shirts over them even as a kindergartner. I had pretty serious body issues. Have, actually. :rolleyes:

Niea

I was totally different as a kid. . but that probably explained why I never wore skirts. I was a tomboy, though, and wouldn't have cared about moving my skirts or having my parents buckle me in. So in my case, it wouldn't have bothered me at all in this situation.

Yoshi

DD is about 4.5 now, and sometimes wears a dress that is below the knee- BUT, it is usually in the cooler weather with leggings or tights underneath, so we just adjust the dress so that it looks like pants on her lap (can you imagine what I'm saying?) tucking some of the dress under the buckle so that she has some fabric between her and the buckle and then we're set. Not much different from when she was a baby. No complaints yet. I think that if she had a problem, I'd let her do it herself.

scatterbunny

We always managed to fold/roll the skirt in such a way that it fit like pants when she was in the harness. It was never too much trouble, even with longer skirts. We just kind of tucked each side of the skirt up and around her legs. Hard to explain, but it worked just fine. Hayley's the kind of girl who will wear dresses whenever I allow it, and play all crazy and rough despite the dress. :p

skaterbabs

:rolleyes:Joyjoy throws a fit if her dress isn't down to her ankles - it's not a proper princess dress if it's short. I just move the extra fabric out of the way as much as I can and I avoid anything that would necessitate loosening the harness, the same as I do for everything else. It is easier in pants though, I admit.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Longish dresses = pulled up & out to the sides so there's less bunched up, but enough covering the inner thighs so the crotch buckle doesn't rub....
Shorter skirts = Leila wears cotton bike shorts underneath and/or we flip down the belly pad to protect her thighs + privacy.
4yr45-35HuskyFreestar.jpg
2007summer_sunflowers-snake.jpg
5.5yrs41lbs4ft.jpg

ETA: the 1st blue skirt fell below her knees -- she also has a flowing Little House On The Prairie type skirt made with an excessive amount of fabric that she has to lift up to walk in :rolleyes: This is a dressup skirt for now :p but she has worn it in the car once & it wasn't a problem (didn't have to adjust the harness any looser than it always is) :)

Last edited:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My daughter doesn't really like to wear dresses much. When she does, though, she prefers long full skirts and we arrange them like papoose and her girl do.

Morganthe

We always managed to fold/roll the skirt in such a way that it fit like pants when she was in the harness. It was never too much trouble, even with longer skirts. We just kind of tucked each side of the skirt up and around her legs. Hard to explain, but it worked just fine. Hayley's the kind of girl who will wear dresses whenever I allow it, and play all crazy and rough despite the dress. :p

LOL, so does dd. :D:thumbsup:

We do the same thing. DD loves wearing her long Lands End dresses and others all summer long -- which lasts from April - day before yesterday. She tucks up her dress or folds it, puts the bellypad upside down to protect her legs from being cut by the harness straps, and she's ready to go. Easy peasy.

The only time I loosen her straps is when her top part is just plain too tight. It depends on her shirt fabric and if she has a collar or not. It's a very tight harness so every tiny smidge matters. But usually she's begging for me to snug it down even more :rolleyes:

Jordynsmama

Psshhh I dont care. I just move her dress up. Plus the belly pad covers the area kinda. IDK we don't have modesty. I mean at school she wears short shorts or bloomer things under dresses but other then that...

mommy2env

When my dd wears dresses (very rare) she wears biker shorts or pretty much any type of cotton shorts. She doesnt care if I move her dress to buckle her in. Actually most of the time she does it herself. I only help sometimes.

Jordynsmama

When my dd wears dresses (very rare) she wears biker shorts or pretty much any type of cotton shorts. She doesnt care if I move her dress to buckle her in. Actually most of the time she does it herself. I only help sometimes.

:yeahthat: she does it her self but now that i finally made it tighter:rolleyes: it can be hard for her to get it clicked in-so i have to turn around and help her out.

brooklynsmommy

I TOTALLY wondered this and forgot to ask about it. My husband's family is pentecostal. Like the extremely strict version. They all have to wear long skirts/ dresses. I know for a fact that my sister in law took my niece out of a 5 point very early because of this issue. Now that I think about it, there could have been some ignorance in there too. I had to give her a back up turbobooster that I had because she was in a seat belt at 6 and around 45lbs and 42 inches......

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC