Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar

Westjet and Thomas Cook aircraft and children over 3

What do you make of this? The restriction on "infant" restraints over 36mo has me suspicious (I suspect they mean all carseats,) as well as the banning of a TC approved device.

Thomas Cook Airlines accepts Transport Canada or FAA-approved child and infant restraint systems. The AmSafe Child Restraint System (CARESTM) is not accepted for use on board. Infants must be held by a parent or guardian during takeoff, landing and whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated. For infants and children under 36 months old, you may purchase a seat for their use and you may, but are not required to, use a restraint system. Children 36 months and older are not permitted to travel in an infant restraint system.

Both forward and rear-facing restraint systems are permitted, however, infants less than 9 kg (20 lb.) may only use a rear-facing restraint system. For rear-facing restraint systems, the child/infant must be held during taxi, takeoff, landing and when the seat-belt sign is illuminated. The restraint system must remain secured during these times.
    From: http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/trav...ii.shtml?mrd=0

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Westjet and Thomas Cook aircraft and children over 3

Um... I would not be flying with them. The CARES IS an FAA approved device, and the insistence on holding the baby when the seatbelt sign is on and during taxi, takeoff and landing is nonsensical (the seat must be secured, but not the child???)
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    ...the insistence on holding the baby when the seatbelt sign is on and during taxi, takeoff and landing is nonsensical (the seat must be secured, but not the child???)

Hmm. I didn't make that inference when I read it (assumed they meant if you HADN'T purchased a seat for your child,) but your interpretation may be correct, which is even worse. >.< I don't get how TC rules wouldn't apply to these leased aircraft.

ETA: Oh god! I just read the RF seat bit! I just skimmed over it before as the 36mo thing is what caught my eye!

This is because Thomas Cook is a British airline. It's like when a USA airline code shares with, say, Air France and people are surprised when they have to hold a child on take off and landing instead of using a purchased seat (air France rule). This isn't exactly a code share (it's a lease apparently) but it's still a Thomas Cook aircraft, which means that British rules apply

I'm assuming that the no CARES thing is because it isn't permitted in the UK.
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    This is because Thomas Cook is a British airline. It's like when a USA airline code shares with, say, Air France and people are surprised when they have to hold a child on take off and landing instead of using a purchased seat (air France rule). This isn't exactly a code share (it's a lease apparently) but it's still a Thomas Cook aircraft, which means that British rules apply

I'm assuming that the no CARES thing is because it isn't permitted in the UK.

I still don't understand how that can be kosher though. How can the owning airline circumvent laws in the country in which it's being used? They're not being used for service between here and the UK even! UK regulations should be irrelevant.

It is the norm in aviation that the on-board rules for passengers are those of the country where the plane is owned.

The lap baby thing is common with EU carriers.
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

Their instructions sounds seriously messed up and confusing. An "infant restraint system" I would take that to mean a bucket seat, and if your 3 year old still fits in a bucket seat I'm impressed. And for holding the baby during take off and landing, that seems pretty messed up- isn't that the most dangerous part of the flight?
    Mommy to Jake, a.k.a Booger Breath #1- born March 2012 and Sawyer, my little "Soy Bean"- born May 2014

Playing the Car Seat Shuffle between a True Fit Premier, Guide 65, Graco MySize, Graco Milestone and a Maxi Cosi Pria

The other weird thing about it is that elsewhere it states the plane will be staffed by WJ crew (I assume TC or at least freelance pilots though, as these aren't aircraft WJ normally flies.) Since the pilots don't usually stroll the aisles, who's to know if UK rules are followed?

The pilots are Thomas Cook's pilots and from the UK. My parents just got back from Hawaii on this very flight - pilot had a super thick Yorkshire accent, the only Canadians were the WJ FAs (ID was also TC).

This doesn't surprise me honestly and also after a discussion with someone from TC about the regs he called them "guidelines" and the airlines were also free to set their own policy (doesn't sound as written in stone as the FAA regs). Anyone who's tried to fly Sunwing will have seen this nonsense first hand.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I'm guessing you might get wiggle room because of that with some crews, but you might also not. They might have it drilled into their heads that different rules apply.

One thing I've heard of people doing is installing the rear facing seat, holding the child while the crew checks that everyone is buckled, and then when the crew buckles in put the child in the seat.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!