Midsized sedan?

CommMom

Senior Community Member
So we're to the point that we NEED to replace DH's car (02' Buick Regal) in the very near future. It's been a great car and he's gotten totally spoiled with all of the features we got on it for the price. But we've limped it along and it's getting to the place where the repair costs are getting too high and things are breaking that are increasingly hard to actually fix.

Throw me some suggestions. DH wants something that is pretty roomy & comfortable with good gas mileage. He is fairly tall, so the seat needs to be pretty far back & still have good leg room for the kid(s) in back. Needs to fit 2 car seats (FF & a HB booster) well, good safety features, etc. Being able to go 3-across would be a bonus, but is not required. We'd like to be in the $14k range and still get a decent number of bells & whistles. Oh, and it can't be anything that it's going to be a nightmare to find someone to work on when it needs it. Midsize, full size...whatever as long as it fits the rest of the criteria. (I'd even be willing to look at a crossover or something else if it fit the rest of his criteria.)

He drove a 2015 Mazda 6 today and thought it was alright. Also tried a 2012 Elantra (didn't like that one at all). What else do we need to look at?

ADS

CommMom

Senior Community Member
Thanks for the suggestions! DH has been looking for an Accord to try, but hadn't turned up anything just right yet. We did find a couple of listings for a Fusion though, so he's gonna try to go drive one on Monday. Based on what he saw online, one of the ones he saw might be a good candidate!

Any other suggestions?

jwilliams

VW Passat and Subaru Legacy. They both have decently wide back seats and very good leg room in recent MYs. Good head rests too, AFAIK.

AllieK

I love my Chevy Malibu! My DH is 6'4" and he fits comfortably even with our Boulevard RF behind his seat. The trunk is very deep too.

CommMom

Senior Community Member
DH went and drove a 2014 Fusion this morning and really liked it. Mileage is low, there is still factory warranty left on it, and the price actually looks pretty good. So I think he's going to try to negotiate with the salesman on it & then have them run the financing numbers to see where we'd be when it's all said and done.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Congrats!

I've been considering a Fusion Energi for our next car, though if gas prices fall, it will be hard not to consider a Legacy.

CommMom

Senior Community Member
Thanks! I hope it works out well for us too. I haven't had a Ford before, lol. DH liked the way the Fusion drove and it turns out that the price was really good. He's excited about having a car that doesn't leak (inside or out) and where (hopefully) nothing will go wrong with it for a while. :)

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Thanks! I hope it works out well for us too. I haven't had a Ford before, lol. DH liked the way the Fusion drove and it turns out that the price was really good. He's excited about having a car that doesn't leak (inside or out) and where (hopefully) nothing will go wrong with it for a while. :)

According to Consumer Reports, the Fusion is one of their best models in terms of ratings and reliability, for what that's worth!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC