Tell me about your favorite seats!

jjordan

I'm working on updating the Recommended Car Seats thread, and I'd like to know what (current) seats are your favorite! The thread has a few recommended seats in each of the following categories:

Rear facing only (infant seats)
Convertible
Combination
High back boosters
Backless boosters

Make a case for your favorites, and maybe they will end up on the list! Thanks!

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I only have experience with RF-only and convertibles, but I have been very happy with most of the seats we've used. Here are my top 3:

Cybex Aton 2 -- About as lightweight as the Aton, but with the load leg and LSP of the Aton Q. Very easy to use and compact for my small car. SO easy to install without the base! I love this seat so much!

Chicco Nextfit -- Takes up about the same amount of room as my Aton 2 (when installed RF, but more upright for an older baby), and (in my car, at least) won't take up more space as our daughter grows because of the angle of the headrest. Great for extended rear-facing. Easy to install, easy to load/unload, and comfortable for the child. Also, not as wide as it looks -- I can put it outboard on the small side of my small back seat bench and still fold down the larger side next to it, if necessary.

Roundabout G4 -- Easy to use seat that is comfortable and easy to install without all the bells and whistles that make the other Britax seats a hassle (in my opinion). Re-thread harness means I can use leverage on the straps from the back of the seat to help me tighten the harness when RF. Great for parents who want a more budget-friendly option that still has the great comfort and ease-of use features of a high-end brand. Lighter in weight than many other seats too, so relatively easy to travel with. Cover is easy to remove for cleaning.

The only seat we've bought that I don't like is the Titan 65 (Sureride) as it was very difficult to install in our cars and was too big to be used RF in most seating positions and too big to be used at all in our small car.

The only other seat we've used is the Britax Boulevard Clicktight, which I find easy to install and has great longevity, but don't like as much for ease of use on a daily basis. But 90% of that is that I find the harness hard to adjust when RF and my in-laws prefer to fully loosen the harness every time my daughter goes in or out of the seat. If I were just leaving the straps tightened and buckling her in each time without having to tighten the harness, I'd probably like it more.

Brianna

I'm pretty far out of the loop! The only recent seats I have experience with...

Safety 1st OnBoard 35 (basic model)- super easy install baseless, with latch or seat belt using base. Fits itty bitties well. Very budget friendly and long lasting. Front to back space is a bit excessive at the newborn recline, better at more upright angle.

Graco SnugRide Click Connect 30 (not LX)- base relatively easy to install with latch, PITA with seat belt on leather seat and center hump. Wish I went with the base that had a built in lock off. Great NB fit and easy to buckle baby up, but I think the 2 sets of harness straps could be easily put back together wrong by anybody not paying close attention to detail.

Baylor

I loved the Nautilus. It fit little ones and big ones. Was completely easy to install and Graco was awesome about customer service. Once I bought it for my oldest son, I did not need another car seat.. Not to say I didn't buy more, ;) but I didn't need to.

I have handed them down now and miss them. Really great seat.

Beloved

We have 5 seats with only 2 kids (and one on the way). Most of our seats are budget under $100. It would be great to see a list of recommended budget seats for all categories (the comparison of budget convertible seats is great).

My most favorite seat that I own is the Scenera. Had trouble installing it RF when I first got it and was 8 months pregnant, but now prefer it for RF DD instead of our Tribute. My DS just out grew it RF by weight and height at 3.5y. The buckle is small and easy to use (Evenflo buckles are giant and much harder to release). I wish I needed another convertible so I could get a Scenera NEXT!

We like our Snugride 35. Only cons are that it's heavy/wide and is an older model with only one crotch strap position, so doesn't fit newborns well. My DS still fit at over 2 (he's short so was not quite at 32") with more than an inch above his head.

Have to agree with the PP about the Sureride. Great idea and fills a need for high top slots and good RF weight. But, very hard to install RF (the RF foot hit right at the latch hooks and the seat-belt would hit against the side/belt-path) and my 3 yo DS couldn't climb in himself because the sides are so deep. He could be RF still, but turned him because it was such a pain.

Like the Maestro and would recommend it before the Sureride for FF. Pretty good top slot height and super easy to install with seat-belt or LATCH.

rosey2007

One of my favorite seats is the Sureride. I bought it for my 4 year old to foward face. It is easy to install foward facing and has a high harness hight. The best part was i payed less then $100.00 for it. I also love that it has a rather deep shell.

thepote

For combo seats, I see the ProSport is on the list, I'd update it to the Performance Sport. This is seat is interesting to me... seems as long as you know the couple of quirks it has and they don't affect you, the seat is awesome. But it's often left off the recommended combo seats lists to cater to the masses. So you show up on places like csftl with one and people are regurgitating "no, not recommended!!" and I'm like WTH?? :p

rachelandtyke

My favorite infant seat was my Keyfit 30.
My favorite convertible for rfing is the Britax Marathon or Roundabout 50. Disclaimer: I have small kids and have rearfaced to 4-5 in these.
My favorite convertible for ffing is the First Years True Fit.
(I like rfing seats on a base, but like ffing seats that sit low.)
My favorite highback booster is the Recaro Vivo.
We have used the Turbobooster high back and backless, too. It has had good belt fit either way and is easy for my DD to use by herself.

1mommy

Well I really liked DS2's Keyfit, super easy to install either with latch or seatbelt.

I liked my True Fit but it was kind a pain to install and its been discontinued. I'm kinda meh on my Guide 65, it fit where it needed to and did its job (that I no longer need because my husband sold that truck) but its a pain to install too. Haven't really had much experience with the Maestro yet to tell if I like it or not. Did not like my rear adjust Graco 22 aside from the cute pattern. Oh wait, this was about favorite seats, not non favorite seats... continue on.

cookie123

I really liked the Secure Kid 400 in spite of no harness covers and the harness placement close together. Nice butt padding and easy to install with sure lock ( the retractable latch hooks). Nice for 3 across and lightweight which I really appreciate as I get older.

The PVC! Love this seat for rf! Cushy. Easy to install and smooth harness adjuster! My height adjuster is a bit finicky. Love there is a place to retain the harness buckles so not as much digging. I like to adjust every time! Not too bad no front to back space.

Do you want dislikes? I know I'm the only KeyFit naysayer! Too sweaty for both babes I used it for and major head slump. Improved for Griffin with the magic insert. Pretty seat with great install though.

bubbaray

Any Britax seat. So easy to install. And I love that the Parkway still fits my nearly 11yo AND doesn't require a vehicle headrest.

nannykates

Rfo- add graco click connect 30/35/35lx, Nuna pipa, gb asana, b safe 35/35elite, light and comfy elite. Remove click connect 40 (I've had a lot of issues with compatibility from it being so long), classic connect seats (disc.), comfy carry (disc.)

Convert.- add sureride/titan65, graco clones, britax clicktights, 4ever/milestone, apt 50, scenera next, nextfit, foonf/fllo. Remove- apt 40, true fit, britax classic and myride 70 (all disc.)

Combo.- add fr90, defender, argos 65/80. Remove- fr85/sict (disc.)

Hbb- add affix and store and go. Remove compass (disc.)

Lbb- add affix, little tykes, incognito.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The PVC! Love this seat for rf! Cushy. Easy to install and smooth harness adjuster! My height adjuster is a bit finicky. Love there is a place to retain the harness buckles so not as much digging. I like to adjust every time! Not too bad no front to back space.

Which one is the PVC? I don't know that acronym...

gigi

I love both of the current Boulevards. Honestly I like the G4 better but my kiddo is tall so it is almost outgrown FF.

Also love the Parkway.

But my favorite ever is the Olli. ZOMG that is booster perfection.

jwilliams

Definitely add the Fllo. That seat is the bee's knees. Rock solid install with minimal effort (the assembly is the hard part), lockoffs, optional ARB, smooooth harness adjuster, and tons of leg room.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Favorite rfo: Aton 2. Load leg, tensioning plate, great fit, fantastic fabrics...
Favorite convertibles (premium): Britax ClickTight convertibles (ClickTight, high limits, compact, ARB available, need I say more?), Chicco Nextfit (easy install, tall but compact, deep sides)
Favorite combination: Frontier 90... because ClickTight. Also allows tucking the harness in without removing to convert to a booster and up front harness adjustment to share easily between children.
Favorite hbb: I actually quite like the Safety 1st Boost Air. The Maxi-Cosi Rodifix is pretty awesome too. The Turbo Booster is still an almost universal good fit for younger booster riders.
Favorite backless booster: I'm actually digging the Baby Trend Hybrid Backless- unusual shape is good for puzzling, deep leg support, good fit. The Evenflo Amp and Harmony Youth Booster are favorites for a variety of kids too.
Favorite niche seats: Bubblebum for travel and carpooling and sending with kids. Incognito for older kids who still need lap belt positioning. Kiddy World Plus for young escapists and arthritic grandparents.
Favorite budget bargain: Evenflo SureRide works from birth to expiration for almost all kids, rfs a long time, isn't over bulky front to back for its height, ff longer than most combinations, gets almost all kids safely to a booster.

Kobain's Mommy

Rear facing only (infant seats)
Graco SnugRide 35 click connect- Nice light weight seat. I have DD's preemie (15") doll in it, and the doll fits perfectly. My 3 year old DD has outgrown it by height but not weight. She would have made it past 18 months maybe up to 2 years. Base is beyond easy to install with it's lock off. Seat goes into the base so much easier than classic connect seats, also comes out much easier. I'm able to get a 3 across in an Envoy XL 03 with two Britax Frontier 90s.

Britax B-Safe- Easy to use seat. Easy to instal base. Fit DD's small doll well. DD would have outgrown it earlier than the SR. Light weight seat. Good price point for a Britax. It's a thin seat/base but couldn't get a 3 across with it. And the foot on the base sticks BAD.

Convertible
Britax Clicktight (any)- Super easy to install. Almost seems to easy. Good seat for someone that moves seats a lot, or only wants one convertible but uses multiple cars. LOVE LOVE LOVE no re-thread harnesses. Good for using for more than one child as well with quick to flip rear facing to forward, or vice versa.

Combi Coccoro- The colors, need I say more? LOL! Loved the seat for small spaces. Never had an issue with the two I had in my Neon or mom's PT Cruiser. GREAT travel seat(refuse to sell my flash frame for it because plan on owning another some day). Good for littles, good for 3 across-es, good for small tight spaces. Only draw back is outgrown quickly. My DD fit 2 years 20 months. I never used it forward facing.

Combination
Britax Frontier clicktight- Once again super easy to install, super easy to adjust, both kids LOVE their seats. They are nice and deep seats so their little legs don't dangle to much right now.

High back boosters
Backless boosters

lgenne

The only car seat I have just absolutely loved is my KF30. The install is ridiculously easy, nice fabric, easy to adjust.

Too bad my giant baby is making it ridiculously heavy to carry around. Not even 5 months and I'm about to put him in a convertible. The KF will live in DH's vehicle, and he can haul it around with a baby in it if he wants.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC