Peg Perego Convertible on plane? Other ideas?

rlr6111

Will be traveling with 18 month old twins. Our first trip since outgrowing our Chicco KeyFit's which were a breeze to install on the plane.

Are we crazy to try to bring our Peg Perego and RF on the plane?

They are still unused so it's not too late to buy a different convertible seat. These seats will normally be in our nanny's car and since she is the youngest/least safe driver in the family, I'm not thrilled with choosing one of the really lightweight seats that are typically recommended for travel (eg Cosco Scenera etc).

Other ideas-- Radian RXT? Graco Milestone? Other?

ADS

Aurezalia

Will be traveling with 18 month old twins. Our first trip since outgrowing our Chicco KeyFit's which were a breeze to install on the plane.

Are we crazy to try to bring our Peg Perego and RF on the plane?

They are still unused so it's not too late to buy a different convertible seat. These seats will normally be in our nanny's car and since she is the youngest/least safe driver in the family, I'm not thrilled with choosing one of the really lightweight seats that are typically recommended for travel (eg Cosco Scenera etc).

Other ideas-- Radian RXT? Graco Milestone? Other?

I would buy two Cosco Scenera NEXT seats just for travel and keep the Peg seats as the daily seats for your nanny's car. It sounds like you guys go on trips with some frequency, since they've traveled before, and it's worth it to shell out $45 per seat to make your trip SO much easier. There's no way I would want to travel with one Peg convertible, let alone two - those seats are beasts! The Scenera NEXT is MUCH lighter, which will make transporting it easier, and they're very compact so they will fit easily on the plane. Also, with a minimum of 2 years to FF with it, if you are asked to forward face your twins you can explain that the seat does not allow forward facing before two years of age, so they don't meet the minimums. I'd swing by Walmart and drop $90 just to make travel for the next few years as easy as possible with toddler twins. :)

rlr6111

Thanks Aurezalia. I guess my concern is that we won't just be flying with these seats, but using them in rental cars when we get where we are going and I feel nervous about driving around with what feels like pretty cheap/unsafe seats in the car....

We fly 6-7 times a year so it's not an insignificant amount of car time for these seats in addition to the air travel.

I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but that's where my head is.

Aurezalia

Thanks Aurezalia. I guess my concern is that we won't just be flying with these seats, but using them in rental cars when we get where we are going and I feel nervous about driving around with what feels like pretty cheap/unsafe seats in the car....

We fly 6-7 times a year so it's not an insignificant amount of car time for these seats in addition to the air travel.

I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but that's where my head is.

I wouldn't be worried about that at all. Honestly. All seats pass the same tests so if they're on the shelf, they're safe to be used! More expensive seats aren't necessarily safer, but have extra luxuries that might make them easier to install, nicer fabrics, or other extra features. Seats like the Cosco Scenera have been around for years and YEARS - it is in fact probably the most used seat in the US I would guess due to it's price point and accessibility - and if it was less safe and not doing a good job protecting kids in cars, we'd know about it just due to sheer numbers, you know? A properly installed seat, especially used RF, is going to do a superb job protecting a child in a crash, whether it's a $40 Scenera or a $500 Foonf. As a tech, I wouldn't hesitate to transport a child in a "cheap" seat and am actually considering picking up a Scenera NEXT that I have NO use for purely because I'm so infatuated with it. I hope that gives you some peace of mind! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC