Car seat on an airplane

Eackers

My 5.75 year old son is 45" tall and 40 lbs. soaking wet. In our car, he rides in a Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 seat in the harness mode. We will be flying soon, and I am trying to figure out if he should have his car seat on the plane. He is a skinny kid, and I'm not sure if he is big enough to have the airplane seat belt be tight enough against his hips. We haven't flown with him in a few years, so this is the first time going without his carseat in the plane would be an option for us. How big do kids have to be for the airplane seat belt be secure enough?

Thanks for your help!
Emily

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
At that age and size, he'd probably be okay in a seatbelt on the plane. If I didn't need a seat at my destination, I'd let him ride without a seat if it were my kid. However, the big question there is whether you'll need a seat at your destination, and if so, how is it getting there?

Checking seats can be a bad idea, because they could get lost or damaged, and then you're stranded at the airport until you're somehow able to get another seat. If you're taking a seat anyway, it's probably better to take it onboard.

4boysmom

Is it not an issue with slouching/5 stepping if you will? My 5.5 yo rode in a cares harness on our short trip to LA a few weeks back. The way there he seemed okay but the way back the woman in front of us was *****ing before we even took off about him kicking her seat because he kept pushing off the back with his foot he was slouching so badly because his thigh bones are not long enough to have his knees bend right to keep his butt in the crack I guess it may have been greatly exacerbated by his muscle tone/positional fatigue but the ride home was a bit of a disaster with him slouching downward as well as to the side,

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC