RFing Radian RXT in an Expedition

MUTigers

I've never had an issue putting the RXT RFing in the center of my parents Expedition until this week. Due to DDs weight I need to use the seat belt and the seat keeps leaning. It's not a rock solid install but meets the 1" wiggle test. Is the leaning ok? Can I use the locking clip to keep it from leaning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

Keeyamah

Thank you! Where do I put the locking clip? Just outside the belt path?

Check the car seat manual, but I believe it's one inch from the buckle. However, that is a smidge flexible and its best to be fully inside or fully outside of the belt path to prevent slipping.

MUTigers

Check the car seat manual, but I believe it's one inch from the buckle. However, that is a smidge flexible and its best to be fully inside or fully outside of the belt path to prevent slipping.
if it's on the buckle side it won't help the leaning issue, so doesn't it need to be on the shoulder belt side? That's why I'm confused.

Cnidaria

It clips together the shoulder and lap portions of the belt together near the male buckle. Here is a video: http://youtu.be/_Fy4RoQkzA0

On a Radian, I think a locking clip might need to go in the belt path, since the side of the seat is so short.

Cnidaria

Oh, and some degree of leaning is OK. I don't know if anyone can exactly quantify how much is too much, though.

Keeyamah

if it's on the buckle side it won't help the leaning issue, so doesn't it need to be on the shoulder belt side? That's why I'm confused.

Bad things happen when locking clips are far from the buckle. But what is likely happening is that the seat belt is getting a little tighter every day thanks to being locked at the retractor. And that is causing the lean. Although, as another poster said, a small amount of lean is cosmetic and not a danger. Using a locking clip fixes that because the seat belt isn't locked at the retractor.

MUTigers

Bad things happen when locking clips are far from the buckle. But what is likely happening is that the seat belt is getting a little tighter every day thanks to being locked at the retractor. And that is causing the lean. Although, as another poster said, a small amount of lean is cosmetic and not a danger. Using a locking clip fixes that because the seat belt isn't locked at the retractor.

Ok. So you're saying to use the locking clip instead of locking the belt at the retractor. Right?

She's really only going to be RFing in this car a few more days, so it's probably not an issue at all. (It's my parents car we're just driving while they are out of town). She's going FFing when she turns 4 in a few weeks, so unless the seat leans some then I think I won't worry about it.

Thanks for the help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeyamah

Yep, you, as far as I know, never use a locking clip and locking retractor at the same time. One or the other.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC