Which truck?

Keeks64

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Disel extended cab with 304 km's OR a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 extended cab with 136 km's

My husband wants the Disel , I want the 1500.

My reasoning is the 04' is WAY nicer in both body & interior & has low km for the year

My DH wants the Disel because well it's a Disel but I don't like the high km's or the fact it's been driven pretty hard.

Price isn't that different $10,500 for the Disel & $12,000 for the 2004

Oh & the Disel doesn't have working ABS which freaks me out but DH insists its fine :/

Soooo which one & why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

Keeks64

Daily driver - we tow nothing! DH hunts that's about it ..... DH is expecting to get at least 6-8 years with this truck

There will be car seats in it .... Either RF/FF or FF/Booster

DH works 30 minutes out of town & will be using it to get to & from work & around town ..... He will drive it ALOT!

SavsMom

If you aren't towing and don't really need it - stay away from the diesel, particularly one with high mi/km. It will be a money pit - almost guatanteed.

SnoGurl

I wouldn't touch the diesel one. That age group has some super common fuel injector/lift pump issues. (ask me how I know! Lol. I had a dead one in my driveway for almost a year. The truck was great to drive, but when it died, it died. It had about the same amount of KM on it.)

Keeks64

If you aren't towing and don't really need it - stay away from the diesel, particularly one with high mi/km. It will be a money pit - almost guatanteed.

This is my thoughts but DH doesn't share them apparently :/ he insists that Diesels don't even "break in" until 250,000km & that it's gonna run great for at least 800,000 km .... Riiiiggghhttt!

I wouldn't touch the diesel one. That age group has some super common fuel injector/lift pump issues. (ask me how I know! Lol. I had a dead one in my driveway for almost a year. The truck was great to drive, but when it died, it died. It had about the same amount of KM on it.)

Ugh! Thank you! I am terrified that it's just gonna be a POS

DH is not even willing to look at the 04' 1500 says its powerless & a gas pig & only good for another 100,000kn before its gonna die

He's being a total dick about it all & pretty much wants this Diesel no matter what :/ I'm SO frustrated as I don't want to sink $10K into a POS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
This is my thoughts but DH doesn't share them apparently :/ he insists that Diesels don't even "break in" until 250,000km & that it's gonna run great for at least 800,000 km .... Riiiiggghhttt!

Ugh! Thank you! I am terrified that it's just gonna be a POS

DH is not even willing to look at the 04' 1500 says its powerless & a gas pig & only good for another 100,000kn before its gonna die

He's being a total dick about it all & pretty much wants this Diesel no matter what :/ I'm SO frustrated as I don't want to sink $10K into a POS

Well he is correct about diesels running for a lot longer than regular fuel trucks...it just sounds like *that* year and make of diesel is exempt from that train of thought.
Is there a reason you are only looking at dodges?

Keeks64

Well he is correct about diesels running for a lot longer than regular fuel trucks...it just sounds like *that* year and make of diesel is exempt from that train of thought. Is there a reason you are only looking at dodges?

Just happened to be the 1st truck he seen in his price range. I've tried showing him other trucks including a 2006 Ford Diesel with 170km's for $8500 in better shape but he claims people he knows have them & they suck lol

Honestly he has tunnel vision for this truck because all his buddies have diesels & he seems to think we need some big ass truck

Keeanh

Diesel engines last a long time, BUT it's NOT the engine that's gonna go. You live near salt water. It's wet all the time. The body and/or electrical is going to go. I've never had a car outlast the engine. The engine could drive itself to the scrapyard, but the rest of it would be left on the road LOL.

Are you ever going to need 3 full seats in the back?

Also, does he have an income yet? Or is he buying his big-ass truck with the insurance settlement?

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Just happened to be the 1st truck he seen in his price range. I've tried showing him other trucks including a 2006 Ford Diesel with 170km's for $8500 in better shape but he claims people he knows have them & they suck lol

Honestly he has tunnel vision for this truck because all his buddies have diesels & he seems to think we need some big ass truck

That year SuperDuty is one of the better years. My husband has a 2012 F350 diesel which he has already put 98,000 miles on since he bought it new at the end of 2012...not one problem with it so far.

He also bought a 2007 (same as the 06) F350 diesel for one of his company trucks that has 130,000 miles and it's been great. The years for Ford diesels that you want to avoid are 2008, 2009 and 2010...those are the problem diesels for Ford if it helps any.

If Google is not lying to me the Ford he's looking at has around 105,000 miles which would not scare me at all with that motor (or the surrounding components/parts....first thing you'll probably have to fix are the injectors) :)

Keeks64

Also, does he have an income yet? Or is he buying his big-ass truck with the insurance settlement?

Yes to both. It's not like we don't have money to replace things as they go etc .... I just don't want too lol I'm really not into sinking money into a truck that won't last anyways *sigh*

That year SuperDuty is one of the better years. My husband has a 2012 F350 diesel which he has already put 98,000 miles on since he bought it new at the end of 2012...not one problem with it so far. He also bought a 2007 (same as the 06) F350 diesel for one of his company trucks that has 130,000 miles and it's been great. The years for Ford diesels that you want to avoid are 2008, 2009 and 2010...those are the problem diesels for Ford if it helps any. If Google is not lying to me the Ford he's looking at has around 105,000 miles which would not scare me at all with that motor (or the surrounding components/parts....first thing you'll probably have to fix are the injectors) :)

Thanks! I keep pushing for the Ford but he won't even consider it .... I seem another 06' with like 70k that was gas though which of course he wouldn't take 2 seconds to read the ad

He's so stubborn! He just wants what he wants regardless! It's painful lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC