Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

What is the upholstery deal in the '15 Sienna?

I test drove a Sienna XLE yesterday and could not get over the rubbery texture that was on the outer edges of the seat, the seat backs, the arm rests, the 8th seat and I think the third row. The sales guy tried to tell me it was leather, but it really felt grippy and rubbery. Then we started talking about their "leatherette" or Softex (?) fabrics and now I'm confused if that was the seat backs/arm rests, 8th seat, etc, or the the leatherette was actually the seat portion that felt smooth and soft.

Does anyone have the low down on what the seats are made out of on which parts?
    DS1 8/5/07, 48", 45 lbs, harnessed in Maestro/Nautilus
    DD 11/30/07 alternates FF in EFTA(FF). 31 lbs, 39.25" tall
    DS2 6/3/13 15.5 lbs, RF in EFTA/Nextfit
    Riding in 2006 7 pass Sienna and 2012 F-150

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: What is the upholstery deal in the '15 Sienna?

I'm answering my own question in case anyone else was wondering about this. I called Toyota, and the third person to be of service was a tech and explained that only the part your back/butt/legs touch when sitting is leather. The arm rests, backs of seats, the third row, and the 8th seat are all synthetic, hence the rubber feel and different smell.
    That is a deal breaker for me. I did not like the way it felt. I am surprised to not find more info or questions on it. Do others that have the Toyota not notice it? Is it new for 2015?

Hmm, the more I learn about the '15 Sienna the less I like. I was so hopeful with the addition of a fourth tether anchor. The headrests are now forbidden to be removed while the seat is occupied and the forward tilt of them makes many forward facing seats incompatible. How does Honda make something so perfect for car seats while Toyota goes and ruins something that used to be perfect for car seats? It doesn't make sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been able to reverse the direction if the headrests in my RAV4.

And I thought lots of leather interiors were not all leather. Some sofas are like that too
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

But the whole third row?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCO 4/15

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    And I thought lots of leather interiors were not all leather. Some sofas are like that too
    That could be, I just thought the feel of this particular synthetic was bad and the fact that it was so prevalent in the van bugged me. If it felt nice then I think I would be ok with it.