Backless boosters articles.. What do you think?!

Baylor

Now to me that Dummy looks too small for a backless booster, But I don't know much about the dummies they use..

What do you think?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1288165/Safety-warnings-childrens-car-booster-seats.html

Backless car booster seats do not give children enough protection in a crash, a study has found.
Impact tests showed that when a car is hit from the side, a child using such a seat is at risk of having their head smashed against the window and door.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hildrens-car-booster-seats.html#ixzz3V4kaPaM3
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Hmm, I'm guessing that's the 6YO dummy. (It must be a US dummy, since the crash test is for the Sunshine Kids Monterrey, and I don't believe any Sunshine Kids/Diono seats have been available in the UK.)

(Hmm, I also note that this article is from 2010 ... )

Dillipop

With side curtain airbags, I am still totally fine with my kids riding in a backless booster once they are tall enough.

And most side impacts have a forward component as well, so the head would likely be in front of the headrest of a highback booster anyway.

Keep you kid harnessed to 5 or 6, highback until 8 or 9ish or whenever they outgrow it, and backless to about age 12.

Baylor

Hmm, I'm guessing that's the 6YO dummy. (It must be a US dummy, since the crash test is for the Sunshine Kids Monterrey, and I don't believe any Sunshine Kids/Diono seats have been available in the UK.)

(Hmm, I also note that this article is from 2010 ... )
yes I saw that too but it popped up on my feed and I had not seen it before.

With side curtain airbags, I am still totally fine with my kids riding in a backless booster once they are tall enough.

And most side impacts have a forward component as well, so the head would likely be in front of the headrest of a highback booster anyway.

Keep you kid harnessed to 5 or 6, highback until 8 or 9ish or whenever they outgrow it, and backless to about age 12.

I agree with you. My son who is 7 uses a backless in my Edge with sideair bags but in Dh's car he uses the Monterey. which is a 2001 GC.

I just had not seen anything that was this negative about LBB. And I did not see any real study info.
I was hoping to get a good answer on the physics of it.

cookie123

I've worried about that. On the other hand I'm constantly reminding Matthew to keep his head in his 'head buns'. It was the same with the other kids when they were riding high back.

bnsnyde

Yeah, I agree.
But sadly I cannot fit highbacks in our 3 in a row.
There are side curtains.

I don't even like just the seatbelt for me. If I could have headwings and foam, I'd be happy!

In our spare with no side curtains, I have 2 highbacks but it means we can only fit 2 kids back there.
To me, it makes better sense to have as much protection as possible. We try to as much as we can fit them in!

gigi

I don't think in a crash the SIP in a booster would do much. Given the forward momentum of most crashes, heads will be out of position.

I actually feel MORE comfortable in a backless beyond about 7 because I think it couples the kid more closely to the car, allowing the car to protect the child as it is designed. I have side curtain airbags.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
In that picture, the lack of lapbelt guides makes me fear that kid is going to suffer a wicked case of seatbelt syndrome when she submarines right out. I guess every news outlet in the world is prone to showing pictures that are scarier than the articles they write. (Actually, the plaids and the fashion and the seasonally inappropriate clothing lead me to believe that picture is an ancient stock photo, looks like the seats we ogled back when my now 17 and 15 yo were younger, lol).
Ok, and the article was written in 2010, maybe the 2009 study saying backless were as safe as highbacks had not been disseminated widely enough at that point?

Edit, wrote this without reading bookmama's whole post, didn't mean to be a copycat noticing the date of the article!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC