New truck and need seat help!

noahsmom24

Hi,

Been a while since I've been on here but I always come back to you guys with questions because I trust the information I am given.
My husband got a 2011 Chevy Silverado crew cab and seats are great fit for any booster but I have two concerns. In my vehicle I am still using the Britax Parkway SGL full time and in my husbands previous truck I used a No back booster seat and felt comfortable with this choice in the particular truck he had. So back to my concerns, the head rests are very short...makes me wonder their purpose? The other is the huge rear passenger side window! It exposes his whole torso with this no back booster. I'm rusty on my car seat safety but it's quite obvious the danger of a NBB with a tiny/short headrest and then complete window exposure. So the optimum choice here would obviously be seat him in the middle if u wanted to continue using the NBB in his truck. But there is no head rest in middle and hubby wouldn't like his view blocked. Am I over thinking here? It just raises huge red flags to me when I look at him back there.

I'm already getting questioned why ds is even still in a booster period with his age so I know if I say we need HBB he's probably not going to be to happy. :/ he's always been supportive but lately he's questions a little.
Ds is 7, 75lbs, 4'2"...

Suggestions? What would you guys do??

ADS

noahsmom24

Yea no headrest nor any holes for headrest. I like the idea of the incognito because the low profile I believe would allow the short head rest to fit better for now. However, I'm thinking at this point maybe a HBB for the time being is the smartest thing to do. Luckily this is not ds's full time vehicle he rides in but we will probably use this for trips so I need to be prepared.

aept

FYI for you to tell your hubby, usually 4'9" is the shortest at which children might pass the 5-step test to fit the vehicle seat and seatbelt like an adult could, and therefore be ok without a booster.
Even that height isn't a guarantee, but it's a good time to begin to check if the fit is better with the booster or without. It might happen in one car sooner than another, too.
He probably has at least 2.5 - 3 more years to go to make it to that height.
I think the incognito or a HBB that doesn't need headrest support from the vehicle (like the parkway) is the best choice.

noahsmom24

Forgot to add...I know about the 5 step test he definitely isn't ready for this yet although his grandparents refuse to use a booster for ds :( but they are maybe a 1-2 visit per month kind of thing. DH will go with whatever I think, jokingly he said ds will be in a seat Til he's 30 today though! People say I shouldn't sit around worrying and planning for the worst but I don't care ds will be in a booster as long as he needs to be. I love the added protection and better fit of the parkway we use in my vehicle but I have to admit to myself he is slowly becoming a little large for it. He does need to lose a little he is a thick kid and spring/summer will help slim him down some to.

I just find it odd the useless rinky dink headrests in the back but nice full tall adjustable ones in front? Makes no earthly sense to me! Now wondering could we make taller and better ones fit in the back?? Hmm .. But more than likely the holes are only deep enough for these.

MelodyoftheForest

Can you give his grandparents an ultimatum? No kid without the booster? I bought a booster for my neighbor kid a few years ago, and he only rides with me a few times a year! I let him ride without it the first time he was in my car, and knew something was off. Finding a solution is what got me in to CPS! Maybe they will learn something that will help them help someone else someday.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC