Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Mazda5 or Odyssey

I'm a mama to a 16 month old toddler and plan to TTC #2 in June/July/August. My DD will be 2.5 by the time the new baby arrives. I plan on getting a BReady stroller with the double seat. I was wondering if it will fit in the Mazda5. I was planning to get the 2016 Honda Pilot but I don't need that many seats. I hate minivans.

I love the Mazda5 but it definitely has a narrow trunk space but I'm only gonna have 2-3 kids so it's an non issue.

What would you do?
    Tiffany, Mama to my lil ladybug, Kianna, 11/10/13, riding in a Graco 4Ever and Cosco NEXT, TTC#2 who will get either Graco 4Ever or Britax B-Safe35.
    All ride safe in 2015 Chevrolet Trax

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Well, when my second kid was a few months old, we went car shopping. We were leaning toward an Odyssey or Sienna, but I wanted to check out the 5. The sales guy at the Mazda dealership asked if it was going to be our everyday car. I said yes, and he said, "This isn't what you want. Go buy an Odyssey."

So we did. When I look at the 5 now, it seems so small. If you like cars and want a sedan-type feel that can fit a couple kids, it's probably fine. If you want room and lots of ability to change things around, go with a van.

4. Thank You from:

Re: Mazda5 or Odyssey

For 2 kids for the foreseeable future, I'd say a midsize sedan like a Subaru Legacy would be no more expensive and be safer, too.

6. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy
    I can't answer your stroller question, sorry.

We bought our Mazda5 new in 2010 and it has been trouble-free. Now, with my in-laws living with us AND expecting baby #3, we may be looking at a minivan in the next year or two. But I'm not sorry I've been driving a smaller car this whole time. I really like my 5, and I drive it all the time.
    Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; mama to Rowan, 8/6/09, FFing in a Britax Pinnacle 90 and a Graco Nautilus; Sapphira, 8/17/12, FFing in a Chicco NextFit; Iris, 6/14/15, RFing in a Chicco KeyFit 30

8. Thank You from:

A B Ready will fit in a 5 if the third row is folded. I have 3 kids and it's our everyday car. I love it.
    Amy~ Canadian tech instructor (CRST-I), Mama to Peter (4.20.08), riding in a Diono Monterey and a Clek Ozzi; Jasper (4.25.11), riding in a Britax Frontier CT and a Graco Nautilus; and Ruby, riding in a Clek Foonf; wife to my CRST hubby, Chris

10. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic

Re: Mazda5 or Odyssey

I'd go with a midsize car for sure.
    Easy to drive, good visibility, and for just 2 kids, well, plenty of room!
    We only got a van because we were having #4.
    The midsize car was awesome for 3 kids. We had a Malibu.

I could never handle a heavy stroller. Gave up on those! I basically did a double umbrella (a funny fit for the new baby for sure...by at 3 months it was doable). I think ours was rated 3 months and up actually.
    I have a Joovy Sit and Stand that fits the baby carseat, but the 2 YO would never sit and just broke the seatbelt on it! So much for that.
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car

12. Thank You from: