Question How close is too close?

javafreak81

Not sure if this is only Canada specific, but since I'm in Canada, I'm posting it in the Canada/International forum.

We're expecting our first in July and have purchased a Peg Perego 4-35. My husband drives a Mini Cooper, which only has 2 seats in the back and I drive a Mazda5, with captains chairs in the 2nd row, so the car seat will go behind the front passenger seat in both cars. We're finding it to be a tight fit (though we didn't properly install the base and tighten the tethers and just put it in place with the angle adjusted). I have a couple of questions:

1) How much space does there need to be between the Peg and the seat back in front? The salesperson at the store said as long as it isn't touching...but considering she didn't know about the angle adjustment knob on the base, I don't have much confidence on what she'd said.

2) How much space does the front passenger need to be safely seated? I read on the Transportation Safety board of Canada website, that as long as the person is sitting with their sternum at least 25cm from the airbag, it's safe. Just not sure how much clearance your legs need from the dash, or any other distance regulations so that it's safe for the front passenger.

Thanks!

P.S. Love this forum. Just came across it for the first time a few days ago...kinda wish I'd read some of these threads BEFORE buying the car seat.

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
Welcome to car-seat.org!! So glad you went ahead and registered. I hope you'll stick around.

Some vehicles have a prohibition against anything toughing the front seat back due to the airbag sensor. Look in your car's owner's manual under the airbag section and see if it has this prohibition.

I'm not sure on the front seat passenger. I do know that many people tend to ride too reclined themselves, and this takes up precious room in the back seat.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
When you have the Peg in place - is the handle at the head of the seat? It does take up more space that way but that's how Peg requires it. You'll eke out a bit more front to back space if you stand in the car and push the base IN with your knees while installing it.

You want as much space between you and the air bag as you can manage, whether you are the driver or passenger. You also don't want your knees making contact.

javafreak81

We did a test install yesterday and with the handle at the top, I'm still able to sit comfortably in the seat in front with about 4" between my knees and the dash and reclined at a comfortable position. The handle bar at the top position was about a half inch from the back of my seat. So not touching. My 6'2 husband couldn't fit so if I'm driving he'll have to sit in the back with baby....which poses a problem if we have baby #2.

However, I did email Peg Canada and they said I can also put the handle down, near the baby's feet, like you would for a baseless install even if using the base.

With the base near the baby's feet, my husband could fit safely but the infant seat was touching the back of the front seat. Checked the manual, and doesn't suggest against it, however I emailed Mazda just to confirm and am waiting to hear back. I'll update once I hear from Mazda.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
However, I did email Peg Canada and they said I can also put the handle down, near the baby's feet, like you would for a baseless install even if using the base.

With the base near the baby's feet, my husband could fit safely but the infant seat was touching the back of the front seat. Checked the manual, and doesn't suggest against it, however I emailed Mazda just to confirm and am waiting to hear back. I'll update once I hear from Mazda.

This is news to me about the handle near the feet as you've described. Would be good if that was allowed as it would take up less space, but is opposite of what others have been told. Hmmm. I am sending you a PM about it.

As I said above light fabric touching fabric is fine but you don't want firm pressure once the seats are occupied. Peg doesn't allow it, and neither does Mazda.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC