Radian vs Guide65, Southwest Airlines

battylady

We'll be flying SW Airlines for a short (2 hour) flight next month and are trying to decide which carseat to bring with us... Our son will be 21 months and has his own ticket/seat on the plane. He is rearfacing in cars and will be until he outgrows his radian. We have two radians, one r120 and one rxt that are our main seats. We also have a Guide65 that is a backup seat/for Grandma's car.

He's definitely more comfortable in the radians, but I'm guessing one would be a bit difficult to install RF on the plane? We do have an angle adjuster. Would it be better to bring a radian and possibly have to do a FF install? Or better to bring the guide65, which I would assume would fit better RF?

Anyone have any successful SW airlines RF install pics of either of the two seats?

TIA

ADS

Keeyamah

When I was flying with my two year old (27months) I forward faced him on the planes. It let him eat using the tray table, share the DVD player with brother, or use the tray to hold the iPad while playing it (we had longer flights). I would forward face on the plane and pack the RF in boot in your carry-on luggage.

Also, the radian attaches wonderfully to a small, cheap Walmart luggage cart and you can either strap the kiddo into the seat or throw the carryons on it to move more easily :).

Muskrat

CPS Technician
If you do use the Radian RF on a plane, I've been told you need to get a seatbelt extender and ensure one of the buckles is located outside the belt path of the Radian. Otherwise, the seat belt buckle ends up inside the closed RF belt path and makes it impossible to remove the seat without cutting the seat belt. I don't have any personal experience, but I've seen it mentioned before.

Aurezalia

I'd definitely bring the guide. Over 2 I'd be fine with FF, but not with a 21mo. The radian RF on the plane would be a huge PITA and I'd be anxious the whole time about annoying the people in front of us or the flight attendants getting pissy about it. :eek: Its also SO much heavier, the guide is so light and easy to carry! It'll also probably be easier to get in the car on the other end.

Last edited:

battylady

That's what we were leaning towards as well.. I was feeling a bit uncomfortable with the idea of FF him, especially since planes are so much faster than cars. I didn't even think about the guide65 being so much lighter either. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC