Really, really impressed with Dorel

Cnidaria

The Incognito is freaking brilliant.

A seat that RFs to a very high weight AND a very tall height, and, bonus, isn't unreasonably expensive? AWEsome.

Convertibles that say you must RF to at least two? Excellent!

The Scenera NEXT is genius; a cheap seat that RFs a lot of kids til 4 and can install really upright.

And I was going to say . . . but man, the AOE! If they would just discontinue the darn AOE, I would have so much more respect for them.

. . . And now they're replacing the AOE with something that will hopefully be much better.

Dorel! You are just nothing but serious innovation and all kinds of good stuff these days!!

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
No, seriously, at the manufacturer's update at Lifesavers today, the Dorel rep got, like, five ovations. It was one thing after another. It's like the company has done a complete 180. Very exciting.

And the new 3-in-1 looks really nice. No dial-a-belt here so we haven't played much with it yet, but they're confident it will address all the things people didn't like about the AOE.

lgenne

They could still stand to discontinue the Cosco high back booster, right?

Yeah, my opinion of Dorel has gone from "they make some decent stuff that makes sense for certain situations but buyer beware" to "OMG they make decent stuff that works well for certain situations plus some AMAZING stuff that I MUST HAVE and this one crappy thing that should be avoided" pretty much in less than a year.

Someone deserves a raise.

Cnidaria

They could still stand to discontinue the Cosco high back booster, right?

True. You know what would be great to have on the market? A FF-only seat that goes to 65 lbs and has 18" or taller top slots, at the $50 price point or so. Of course it would have a 2-yo minimum age. For that price I would imagine it couldn't turn into a booster.

But then lower-income families could spread out their seat expenses: Scenera NEXT for RFing, my fantasy FF-only harness-only seat to harness till 6, then Turbobooster. For $50 or less at each stage. It wouldn't help the 65 pound 3yo or the 99th percentile for height child, but it would help the parents of the average kiddo who scan the shelves at Walmart and feel like they could afford the Chase or Cosco Highback but not a SureRide, Defender or SecureKid.

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
I am blown away at all the changes. I haven't been as up to date on new seat info over the past year and a half. So much exciting stuff to catch up on!

lgenne

Actually, it doesn't even have to be Dorel. Graco, Evenflo, Harmony, feel free to wow us too! Or Clek or Britax or Diono, make our jaws drop if you want.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The new seat looks like an Elite Air without the Air.

If I'm right, it's not going to become my favorite seat but it's still a huge improvement over the AOE.

If they'd take out the bottom slot on the Cosco HBB and replace it with another slot at 18" and keep the same price that would be freaking amazing. That would end the "why does this seat even exist?" question I always want to ask of Dorel once and for all. If they can increase the weight limit even to 50 at the same time I would squeal.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Summit and clones. You guys are forgetting that one. The HBB is short but installs well. I think I've had two cars the Summit wasn't near-incompatible to incompatible in, ever. And it had the AOE top slot in booster only rule too! Gah. It needs to DIAF.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
They totally revamped the summit a few months ago. I haven't had the new one in a car yet but the Eddie Bauer version I played with at Target seemed ok for average-height kids.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ah, my Targets don't carry the Summit so I've not seen that. Let me know when you get one in a car how it does. Is the change universal or will they make both kinds still?

cookie123

I didn't even think the Summit was around anymore. I haven't seen it anywhere in a long long time. It seems like that was a recommended seat from Consumer Reports way back when - Hannah and Brett were barely around ff seat age. Am I remembering that correctly?

nannykates

I haven't seen the summit in a while either, I think our Burlington had some for a while. The new eb version is so much better, 17" top slot, no base, better looking lap belt guides. However I haven't seen it in our targets in a while.

I apologize this got long and ramble-y!

In other news I really do think all the companies are doing better, graco brought us a very tall and compact convertible, then made an all in one that is truly usable in all modes, they discontinued the snug ride 22 that doesn't fit small babies. Evenflo made a high weight and height seat that even programs can afford, made the anti rebound position acceptable on some of their new infant seats, discontinued the big kid with flip up armrests in favor of the fixed design the provides better fit. Britax made a true erf seat, that makes installation very simple, they redesigned their infant seat with a better chest clip and easier base and visible baseless guides. Chicco now has a full line of products I'm willing to recommend.

Even in the just over 2 years I've been a tech seats have come so far, I have seen more and more best practice and less and less "tough choices". Not to say we don't have a really long way to go but it's been an awesome few years to be a part of making kids safer!

griffinej5

I want to go buy something from Dorel. I don't need anything, but I want. I just bought a new seat. The older of my 2 nieces is 4 years, 2 months old and still fits rf in a graco clone, and will probably till age 5. The other niece is 19 months old and a peanut. I don't need that 50lb rf seat. It won't likely fit anywhere, but I want it so bad. Why don't I have any friends having a baby who I can get something for?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I didn't even think the Summit was around anymore. I haven't seen it anywhere in a long long time. It seems like that was a recommended seat from Consumer Reports way back when - Hannah and Brett were barely around ff seat age. Am I remembering that correctly?

Yes, based on the fact that the shoulderbelt guide allowed the belt to flow freely, that was the only factor it scored excellent as a booster on.

It's definitely been revamped recently http://www.walmart.com/ip/34391013?...31412352&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=81188049512&veh=sem, but the old ones are still all over the place :(

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It was a major Dorel Love Fest at Lifesavers, you could tell the reps were enjoying the positive attention at their booth ;)

cookie123

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC