Totaled our 2013 Sienna, now have to buy used

mamalaroo

We totaled our 2013 Toyota Sienna XLE with our three Diono Radians in it :thumbsdown:

But only my husband was in it, and he's okay :thumbsup:

Due to an insurance issue (short story is we're screwed), we have to buy a vehicle out of pocket. We do NOT have the funds to buy new again so we're going to look at a used dealership. I'm nerding out on reading up about vehicle safety - whatever we buy I need to feel safe in it, especially after the crash. I am hoping to get a 2004 or newer. Our price range will likely keep us around 2004-2006 unless we're lucky and find a good deal on a newer one.

I have a list of features I want (like curtain airbags) but I'm no expert. I was hoping someone who spends their time learning about vehicle safety might have some models to recommend (you want to know about Harry Potter or gender issues, come to me. I want to know about vehicles, I come to you). I didn't like driving the van but I do like driving pickup trucks. I want to stay larger than a sedan, smaller than a van. Maybe a crossover? We have three children in carseats (2 FF, 1 RF) and two large dogs. I plan to buy three Radians again.

ADS

Phineasmama

I'm just gonna be straight with you, I find driving non-minivans with three children to be an absolute nightmare. Not to mention the fact that you can find a decent minivan for much cheaper than you can a used SUV! Try driving some other models of vans before you decide completely against it. I test drove a Nissan Quest and absolutely HATED it, I felt like I was driving a boat or something. But I love my Odyssey :)

Mags462

I'm just gonna be straight with you, I find driving non-minivans with three children to be an absolute nightmare. Not to mention the fact that you can find a decent minivan for much cheaper than you can a used SUV! Try driving some other models of vans before you decide completely against it. I test drove a Nissan Quest and absolutely HATED it, I felt like I was driving a boat or something. But I love my Odyssey :)

You bought one?! I need a pic! ;)

And op i am not well versed on the ody options but I can tell you that I would personally shoot for a 2006 to 2010 sienna or a very equipped 2005. I drive a 2005 xle and love it but in the 04/05 model years there were not standard packages in terms of options and safety. So my xle had everything but leather and side curtain airbags. Ironic the original owners wanted the expensive rear DVD player but went cheap on the airbags :( anyways in 2006 they upped the safety and made trim levels have standard conveniences. I'm pretty sure in 2006 all around airbags cece standard as well as some stability safety features in the le and xle models. So if it were my choice I would strive for a 2006 sienna simply for some better standardized safety features. If you find a good 2005 just check and verify it has the safety features you want! I do love my 2005 in terms of handling and reliability - it has 125k and is going strong - but I wish it had the safety features of the 2006! :)

And I'm sorry you are getting a raw deal from your insurance company. Which one is it? I always try to steer clear of the yucky ones!

jjordan

From a safety point of view, I think the safest that you will find in your price range is probably a 2006 or newer Kia Sedona (IIHS best bet for 2006-2010 generation, with better safety ratings than the similarly priced Odysseys & Siennas, if I'm not mistaken). Here is the list for 2006; you can click on 2007/2008/2009/2010 etc for "winners" from those years.

So sorry about your accident. I'm glad that no one was hurt!

Phineasmama

I was in a similar situation, my van was totaled very recently and we just got our "new to us" van on Thursday. I agonized over the decision like crazy, I just did NOT want to buy something that I wasn't happy with, which is what happened last time when I bought a Grand Caravan.

I have a CRV and know I love Hondas so I considered the Sienna as well but ultimately decided I'd be happier with an Odyssey. And I decided to get a 2008 because they did a mid-cycle refresh, which changed the body style and added a better engine than the pre-2008 models. The 2008-2009-2010 model years were also more in our price range, since we were paying cash as well. I would have loved a 2011 with the 5 sets of LATCH, but we couldn't afford one unless it was the base trim level, and I wanted the power sliding doors and all the bells and whistles.

I honestly didn't even consider anything without sliding doors, they are SO much easier with kids. No worrying about them flinging the doors open and hitting other people's cars in the parking lot either. I also used to have a truck, and to me, having a minivan is kind of like all the perks of a truck and so much more. I can still haul things in it, but it's a lot more luxurious and much better for car seats ;) And like I said, every model is different and feels different when you drive it. If you didn't like the Sienna, you may very well like a different make/model.

If I had to get an SUV as opposed to a minivan I think I would go with a Honda Pilot, because they are also awesome for car seats, or at least from what I've heard. But they are going to be a lot more expensive in the resale market when up against comparable model year/mileage minivans.

You bought one?! I need a pic! ;)

I should update my thread I guess!

mamalaroo

Hi! Sorry I'm so late getting back to this. We've been car shopping today. Aghhhhhhhhhh I hate car shopping now.

Anyway, our budget is $5,000 :/ I know, it's not a lot to work with but that's what we could put together on such short notice.

Good point about all vans being different. I will try out some other vans! That certainly opens up the possibilities.

I didn't realize models varied so widely year to year. Wow! Now I want a car-buying doula, ahh

jjordan

In that price range around here, it's almost all Dodge Caravans. Honestly your budget is going to limit you immensely, so I'd just do a few searches (autotrader, Craigslist, cars.com) and the compare the options that you do find. A Ford minivan or Mazda might be do-able and is probably going to be a better bet than a Dodge. Stay away from Pontiac Montana (from a safety perspective).

I'd also look at station wagons, as your budget might stretch farther. Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC