Car seat/harness for dogs?

tblmom

I know this question is not directly related to kids in car seats, but we are getting a puppy in a couple of weeks and I thought maybe some of you super knowledgeable Mama's may be able to help me. What is the best way to keep a puppy safe while in the car? Will probably grow to a max of 15 pounds and will be sitting in between 2 convertible/HBB car seats in a Corolla (we have a bunch we can switch around to make things work, including 2 radians)

ADS

CMeMeC

I know this question is not directly related to kids in car seats, but we are getting a puppy in a couple of weeks and I thought maybe some of you super knowledgeable Mama's may be able to help me. What is the best way to keep a puppy safe while in the car? Will probably grow to a max of 15 pounds and will be sitting in between 2 convertible/HBB car seats in a Corolla (we have a bunch we can switch around to make things work, including 2 radians)

I have a Kurgo dog harness that I purchased from Amazon. I like it and it works well, as far as keeping the dog in his seat and in the car. Mine has a belt that the seat belt goes through. My first choice was a Sleepypod Clickit harness, because they are actually crash tested, but they were out of my budget. I like that they have a LATCH strap, because in my current set up, the seat belt gets in the way. I guess I should add, my dog is a 65 lb poodle.

MelodyoftheForest

Sleepypod has a new version of their harness that does not use the LATCH and is less expensive: http://sleepypod.com/clickit-sport

My 13 lb pug/jack russell mix barely fits the minimum requirements of the smallest size. It would likely not work until the pup is mostly if not fully grown. You could start with their carrier if you have the space/budget.

I have also seen some small plastic travel carriers that have a place to route the seatbelt in the top. This holds it on the seat with the door toward the front of the car. Not crash tested, but might work for you while the pup is small, and is a cheaper option. Here is one: http://www.petmate.com/vari-kennel-ultra-small-pet

In between is the SturdiBag, which I have. It has loops for the seatbelt on both long sides. In my car, I have the bag facing the side door and route the seatbelt through the loops on the outside, not against the seatback. It has various sizes and is cheaper than the Sleepypod. I trust my installation of it more than the plastic carrier option, too. I have a large SturdiBag, but would suggest a smaller size for the puppy if you want to move to a harness later. http://sturdiproducts.com/pages/pet-carriers

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
I have a Clickit and it's quite good. There is definitely room for improvement as far as ease of use, but I feel that my dog is safe in it. It having been crash tested was a big selling point for me. I don't think that their dog dummy is instrumented so we don't actually know how well it works, but if nothing else it'll give my dog a fighting chance and it prevents her from becoming a projectile.

With your dog's size a Clickit might not be small enough, but Sleepypod definitely makes carriers that belt into the car and are also crash tested.

10615545_10204015651525339_6423944257884804166_n.jpg

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would put the dog in a carrier of between two kids in car seats. If it wouldn't fit I would put the carrier in the front seat, secured with seat belt if possible.

Puppies are unpredictable, I wouldn't want it to jump on one of the kids mid-ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suzibeck

Sleepypod has a more user friendly harness now that is a bit cheaper as well. Click it Sport.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC