ford transit passenger van and infant seats

tablefor9

We currently have an '07 odyssey which has been great but with almost seven kids we had to go to a passenger van. We ordered the van (a '15 transit) several weeks ago but won't have it until maybe a month after the new baby is here. I'm not too worried about installing anything in the odyssey but I need to make sure whatever infant seat I pick will work in the new van.

I've been reading about the pipa nuna being difficult to install in certain cars. I'm also concerned the load leg will make it impossible for other kids to scoot by the seat if it's closer to the door (closer to the windows would make it difficult for me to climb in while carrying it, there is only a sliding door on the passenger side). The closest in stock passenger transit is more than 100 miles away and I'm not really up for the drive just to check the seats so I was wondering if anyone has experience with this vehicle and/or seat.

Here's some other info, not sure if it's needed or might help:

- other seats we're considering are the uppababy mesa (since it would work with our stroller) and aton q; I'm wondering if the mesa might not install well since it doesn't have a load leg, I can't recall if the seats in the transit were shallow or deep like regular minivan seats

- one of the older kids is plenty big/old enough to ride without a car seat or booster, the next is in a high back cybex booster but is right on the verge of outgrowing it, next is in a frontier harnessed seat, then one in a ff roundabout, another in a ff marathon, and the youngest in a rf pavilion; I'd rather not have to replace any of these seats or turn the youngest forward facing

- the van is a 12 passenger; there are four rows total with the driver/passenger up front, then a three seat bench, a row with a two seat bench on one side and single seat on the other side of a small aisle, then a four seat bench across the back; I'd like the new baby up on the three seat bench

Thank you!

ADS

tablefor9

Wanted to add that there are anchors on all seats except the third row single seat but only latch on the inside and outside seats of the second row three seat bench and the aisle seat of the third row two seat bench. I definitely need a seat that can be installed airily easily with a belt. I don't want to do a convertable from the start, I've tried doing that before and it's not something that works for us.

PKung

CPS Technician
I can get access to some passenger Transits but unfortunately don't have any of the infant seats you're curious about. Is there anything I can measure that would help?

(or I think I have a OnBoard35, Snugride 32 (SS1), and a Flex-Loc if anything relative to those is helpful.)

tablefor9

Thank you so much for the offer but I've already ordered a seat. I went with the pipa nuna. If it doesn't work it doesn't work, just have to wait and see!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Vans of any nature are typically easy to install seats in, so I think you won't have any problems. I'd expect the flattish seat and the flat floor to work well with the Pipa (now, the giant floor hump in the middle of my dh's new car, along with a humpy seat itself? Totally incompatible with, oh, anything, lol).

Tell us how it goes! Secretly I love that van, dh almost got me one just because of the sliding doors (but with only three kids, I got away with a Mazda 5).

:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC