Question Bubble Bum or RSTV? WWYD?

Athena

Unfortunately, the only 2 "boosters" I've found to fit my center seat are the BB and RSTV. Which would you choose? What would you choose before knowing the addtl details below?

I don't love either option and am having a terrible time deciding.

I'll provide a few additional details, in case that would change your response, but knowing both responses would be helpful.
- We already own the BB, whereas we needed to buy a larger RSTV (and can return it).
- Money isn't unimportant, but safety comes first.
- DD prefers RSTV and I read something about some crash test results that made someone nervous, so now I'm leaning towards the RSTV.
- I worry about her sliding on the BB, yet don't like the looseness around of the RSTV (even though the manufacturer said that's okay and even state that in their online FAQS).
- Neither is easy to buckle.

I wish I knew which was safer because that would make my decision very easy. Thanks for the help!!!

ADS

CMeMeC

Unfortunately, the only 2 "boosters" I've found to fit my center seat are the BB and RSTV. Which would you choose? What would you choose before knowing the addtl details below?

I don't love either option and am having a terrible time deciding.

I'll provide a few additional details, in case that would change your response, but knowing both responses would be helpful.
- We already own the BB, whereas we needed to buy a larger RSTV (and can return it).
- Money isn't unimportant, but safety comes first.
- DD prefers RSTV and I read something about some crash test results that made someone nervous, so now I'm leaning towards the RSTV.
- I worry about her sliding on the BB, yet don't like the looseness around of the RSTV (even though the manufacturer said that's okay and even state that in their online FAQS).
- Neither is easy to buckle.

I wish I knew which was safer because that would make my decision very easy. Thanks for the help!!!

What vehicle is it for and what other seats do you have in it? Also, what are the stats of the child?

Athena

What vehicle is it for and what other seats do you have in it? Also, what are the stats of the child?

It's for the occasional 3 across, for which it would probably be my 6yo in the middle (50 something pounds, ~51"), possibly the friend, with Incognito on buckle side, PKWY (backless or HBB, 12 or 13) on other side ... or I'm looking at other thinner boosters, but can't decide on that either. (noticing a pattern here :eek:) It's in a '15 Forester, for which the backseat has been improved greatly, but that middle spot is still very narrow. Thanks!

P.S. Without details (assuming they both fit), do you have a general preference between those two devices.

bnsnyde

I have never used that vest but we use an EZ-On Vest for my 3-year-old on the school bus. It's not easy!!! But it was our only option.

Personally I'd want to avoid a vest for ease of use issues.

You sure a Harmony Youth won't fit?
It works in our crazy 3 across. The angle of the sides is awesome for buckling. The ONLY one that fit (she's 50 lbs. so can't do the Incognito yet anyway).

CMeMeC

It's for the occasional 3 across, for which it would probably be my 6yo in the middle (50 something pounds, ~51"), possibly the friend, with Incognito on buckle side, PKWY (backless or HBB, 12 or 13) on other side ... or I'm looking at other thinner boosters, but can't decide on that either. (noticing a pattern here :eek:) It's in a '15 Forester, for which the backseat has been improved greatly, but that middle spot is still very narrow. Thanks!

P.S. Without details (assuming they both fit), do you have a general preference between those two devices.

I'm not familiar enough with either to say. The vest looks like a hassle, but that might not be an issue for occasional use, nor may it actually be one since I've never used one. I do like the incognito, but it's wide for no more seat than it is. I would probably go with the bubble bum, but again, wrong person to ask here.

gigi

I would not like either. If necessary and truly nothing else would fit, I would pick which ever would be used 100% correctly most easily.

Lemonade

Try to replace the high back with a harmony dreamtime? And see if that helps. Then maybe you will have more options for the middle

I've owned both the rstv and BB. I'd go with bubble bum. With the middle floor hump it should help with leg support too.

Athena

Thank you for the responses. No one is voting RSTV? May I ask why?

I would choose the bubblebum.

Do you mind if I ask why? Given your knowledge of both, I think it would be very helpful to know.

You sure a Harmony Youth won't fit?

Try to replace the high back with a harmony dreamtime? And see if that helps. Then maybe you will have more options for the middle

Even if there were no seats on the sides, that won't increase the distance between the buckle points, so I think that will only help make the act of buckling easier. That is still a good enough reason to get a narrower booster and I am interested in ideas for that, but I think the dreamtime is too short. My shortest kid is at least 50" and most friends are about 7 or older.

I've owned both the rstv and BB. I'd go with bubble bum. With the middle floor hump it should help with leg support too.

Do you mind if I ask why you prefer the BB? What do you mean about helping with leg support? It's lack of leg support is on my con list, well and that post I saw about there being some concern about crash test results, but I don't know enough about it to know whether that should concern me.

Athena

I think good belt positioning is more likely in the bubblebum, before and during a crash.

Thank you! Do you mean it fits more kids well, so the probability of it fitting is better? Or do you mean that you feel it holds the belt better?

I had sort of talked myself into it before seeing that other post about the crash test not looking good. Did you see that? I didn't see the video, but the mere mention brought back my previous doubts.

I guess I'm more comfortable with bigger seats, or at least typical seats. If I could only get something else to work and I keep thinking it will, but I've tried and nothing has so far. Plus, the BB is really convenient to be able to easily have on hand for if I need it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Both it fits more kids well and I think it would hold the belt better. I have some thoughts about the crash test thing, but I'd be more comfortable discussing by pm.

I am still comfortable with my kids in bubblebums and send them with them for carpools weekly.

Athena

Thank you! Very helpful! If you'd like to add more via PM, please feel free. I'm very interested in any thoughts you have.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have to put groceries away and then go to dinner, but if you pm me any questions I can answer in a bit.

FWIW (my kids are now 13YO and 5-step in all our cars) I've used both and I would say "it depends". For us the RSTV was the only option for the rear-center of our 1997 Civic b/c it had a center lap-only belt and even though it was a bit of a pain to buckle, it was super-handy for carpool and the occasional can-you-give-my-kid-a-ride scenarios and when not in use it took up hardly any space tucked between my DDs' old original Parkways (plus IMO when you're using the vest with a top tether and lap belt, it's easier to buckle than when you have to wrangle the vehicle shoulder belt into the vest's belt guides). Got the BubbleBum for DD2 to take on field trips when she was in 5th grade (DD1 was 5-stepped by then) and she wasn't so crazy about it b/c of the shallow depth/lack of leg support and she felt it tipped more than her FPSV so on the big overnight field trip she actually took her FPSV instead of the BubbleBum. Too bad we didn't have the Incognito back then. So while I'm not exactly voting for the RSTV over the BubbleBum in general, I *will* say that ours served us really well (and another family in our parents of multiples club was happy to purchase our BubbleBum from us)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You also had the old model, didn't you? I did too and much preferred it over the current model for fit and function.

Athena

TG Twins - Thank you for sharing your experience! We liked our version 2 RSTV too, but I'm not feeling great about the v3. I think I'll give the BB a try. How tall was your DD in 5th grade when the depth bothered her. I'd be using ours for a 6yo, so hopefully it'll be okay, but she is tall for her age, so we'll see.

Ketchupqueen - Thank You!

Morganthe

I have a bubblebum in the center for 'occasional use'. It's in a very narrow spot in my Passat used between 2 nbb montereys. No complaints. Fairly easy to use and it's low profile that the 12 year old doesn't mind sitting in it. She's about 6" shorter than my dd. No way would she (and other 8+ year olds who ride with me) put up with the RSTV vest. She's developed and I suspect it wouldn't be comfortable either.
It's a deep back seat, so unless they're over 5' tall, the belt goes across the neck.
So my personal belief is that you'd have a much shorter use time than a booster before kids, especially those who are in nbb or in adult seatbelts in their own vehicles, just absolutely refuse or complain the entire journey. The older the kid, the louder the whine. :rolleyes:

:eek: I vote for long term "occasional use" bubble bum for that very reason. DD has always sat perched on the bubblebum, but for some reason, none of her friends do or even notice the lack of thigh support. Not sure why. But they've used it for several hours at a time with no complaints. :shrug-shoulders: The other day, in a pinch, it was in an outboard spot because dd was complaining that she didn't want to sit THERE and the 2 sisters were in conflict with one another... so bubblebum - seatbelt -- nbb Monterey. Peace reigned supreme. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC