Best option for traveling

U

Unregistered

HI! I am going to be flying with my two kids in a couple months. They are 3 and 5 and both in forward facing Britax Frontiers. I have the Love Cares harnesses to use on the flight. I do not want to check our car seats though as I'm afraid they may be damaged. I will need something to use in a rental car for a couple shorts trips around town in San Francisco. I have no desire to get my kids out of a five point harness anytime soon. However, I was thinking of using the Bubble Bum for my five year old just while we are out of town. I'm already super nervous about that though. I have no idea what to do with my 3 yr old. She is 43 lbs and 41 inches. I looked into purchasing a cheaper car seat once we got there but she is over the limits on most of them. She is in the limits for a bubble bum but not age and I just cannot see myself putting her in a booster. What would you suggest?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
How would you get from the airport to where you're buying the seats?

I'd buy at least one Evenflo Maestro (harnesses to 50 pounds), two if your five year old is under 50 pounds as well, and take them on board and use them. That way you have two seats that weigh less than one Frontier, both kids have seats on board (my five year old chooses a seat because it's more comfortable for her. Three year olds are also not consistently able to leave the big shiny silver thing alone and have been removed from planes due to it), and both kids have harnesses that you already have with you when you arrive when you get to San Francisco.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Hi! Thank you for your response. We had planned on taking the airport shuttle to our hotel, it's one block away. From what I understand you can't put a car seat in those. Is that correct? The rental car company is picking me up at the hotel to get my car. There will be 4 other adults traveling with me. They are staying at the hotel while I get the car and car seats (if we don't already have them). I will look into the Maestro, I had not heard of that one. Thank you!

I'd take a BubbleBum for the 5yo, if the child is able to sit safely in a booster, and second the idea of taking something like the Maestro for the 3yo.

Most hotels use vans as their airport shuttles, and very often there are shoulder belts available. So there's a good chance you could use both the BubbleBum and a carseat on the shuttle and install them while the driver is loading bags. If you call the hotel ahead of time, they should be able to tell you what the seatbelt situation is on their shuttle. If it's really only a block, walking may be an option too. It could actually be easier and quicker to walk than to wait for the shuttle.

I'd generally avoid planning to buy a carseat at your destination. You have no guarantees as to what'll be available and it could be a major hassle, especially when you have a child who's old enough and big enough that many of the most widely available seats may not be a good fit. If you pick up a seat beforehand, you'll have time to familiarize yourself with it first and you can use it on the plane.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC