Evenflo SureRide harness always crooked?

bnsnyde

We have an Evenflo SureRide (FF) for my son who is almost 4. I really like the seat BUT am having some usage issues with the harness.

The straps are constantly twisting (this I can fix while grumbling). But the harness itself never seems even. I try to pull it all out and even it out. This is every single ride. It's still not perfect. And then if one strap gets pulled out more than the other, back to where we started...

I am sure there are some tricks those that use this seat daily might be able to share? Where to pull and tug, where to even stuff out first?

His old seat (Radian) we LEFT at the desired harness tightness, and it worked perfectly! With the SureRide, if I don't loosen when he gets out, the straps gets tugged (as he exits) and all crooked. Too tight around one side of crotch, etc. And he complains all the time about the harness being uncomfy or too tight (but he might complain about any harness, given how he is).

Plan was 8 YO next to him could help buckle, but the seat takes so much tender loving care to get it right, I end up going back there to do it.

It's the only seat that fits our 3 in a row and that will (likely) harness him to at least age 5 (he is as big as my 5 YO just about!). So it's here to stay. I like it, it was a breeze to install (though tips to center a bit in our seating position so I used a towel), I just feel I cannot safely use it!

Last edited:
ADS
I've been using the Sureride everyday for a few months now, and I totally understand your frustrations. I have found that if I do up the crotch buckle first and then pull up on the harness from about belly level to even out the straps before I buckle the chest clip it works much better. The continuous harness is a bit of a pain.

Keeyamah

Maybe I'm just used to continuous harnesses, but I just fiddle with the hips to get it right. But my first two seats were a Truefit and Scenera, with the Truefit being use from birth for my oldest.

griffinej5

It's the only seat that fits our 3 in a row and that will (likely) harness him to at least age 5 (he is as big as my 5 YO just about!). So it's here to stay. I like it, it was a breeze to install (though tips to center a bit in our seating position so I used a towel), I just feel I cannot safely use it!

Are you allowed to use a towel ff?

Snow mom

I'm using it RF but I find the harness gets less out of whack if I don't loosen it when I taken him in/out. I guess my experience is the opposite of yours in that way but basically not loosening the harness requires me to pull the slack from the first strap I buckle to get the second strap buckled and then they are both just right. Of course that only works when he's pretty much wearing the same amount of clothing daily but in general I try not to put much slack into the harness. You need the straps as even as possible before tightening. To get the even pull at the hip of the shorter strap.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Even it at the hips.

Where and how did you use a towel? Generally they are not to be used in FFing installs.

bnsnyde

Yes, it's maybe not allowed.

The seat was looking a bit crooked, especially after he exited it since he'd push his weight into the one side to get out. Maybe more aesthetically "off" than anything. But there is a small rolled cloth under one side to keep it looking perfectly level. The base is a little different than some of my other seats. It's not a flat one; kind of awkward.

I'll call Evenflo and see what they say though.

bnsnyde

Evenflo said it's OK if it's thin (and it's quite thin).

Also said to discontinue the AMP after 57" (spare seat for my 56" 8 YO child). Hope this kid doesn't grow. We have highbacks that go higher we can lug up the basement stairs...past 60"!

Carrie_R

Did Evenflo understand it was a rolled towel affecting install, not a single thickness of thin towel for seat protection purposes? That sounds highly suspect to me, did you talk to a customer service rep or one of their engineer/techs? Rolled towels under FFing seats is a pretty big no-no so I just want to make sure you were given the okay by someone who truly understood the question and is qualified to make that judgement.

Dillipop

Did Evenflo understand it was a rolled towel affecting install, not a single thickness of thin towel for seat protection purposes? That sounds highly suspect to me, did you talk to a customer service rep or one of their engineer/techs? Rolled towels under FFing seats is a pretty big no-no so I just want to make sure you were given the okay by someone who truly understood the question and is qualified to make that judgement.

I agree. A thin towel to protect the seat is a lot different from a thin towel rolled up to prop up the side of a ffing seat... Are you sure they knew what you meant?

bnsnyde

I was very specific explaining, and they asked a lot of equally specific questions first about install, seat movement, etc.

So, that's what they told me.

Seat is solid as a rock. To get even a thin cloth under it, I have to push down on the seat cushion.

I am just glad the FF Radian isn't there anymore because it truly was a pain to get it tight enough, if even that!

Carrie_R

Okay, great. If it's being installed tightly and then the towel is being added, I can at least see that. I probably still wouldn't choose to do it, but if Evenflo okayed it and you feel comfortable then it's absolutely your choice :)

Have you been having success with adjusting the harness at the hips?

bnsnyde

Yes, adjusting at the hips is going OK. Not perfect, but OK. I am getting more used to it.

Yeah, I guess I'm calling the install complete and good. In a perfect world I'd have none of these issues, of course! :) I do feel good about finding a seat that can harness him for a long time (he's not very mature), that actually fits 3 in a row.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC