Best FF seat for travel?

U

Unregistered

Dear all,

I was hoping to get suggestions on the best forward-facing carseats to take on a trip where I will have to install the seat in a rental car (and/or possibly taxis). My daughter is almost 4 years old, weighs a little over 30 lbs and is about 40 inches tall. She just outgrew her Combi Coccoro for shoulder height a couple of months ago.

I saw a thread here from a year or so ago where the Evenflo Maestro and Sureride were recommended. I was wondering if these are still the best options in the market or if there's something else I should consider.

My biggest concern (in addition to safety) is ease of installation. I'm not the best at installing, but my DH won't be on the trip and I need to make sure I can do it properly on my own even under pressure!

I have a CARE harness for the plane, so the seat doesn't need to fit for the flight (although if it does, I might use it).

Bonus features would be ease of transportation when not in use and being lightweight! I have a Go-Go Baby Travelmate, so if it fits there it would be cool.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this question has been asked here recently--I couldn't find any recent conversations on the topic when I searched the forum.

ADS
U

Unregistered

Thanks, Melissa, that's good to know! I was reading the reviews on Amazon and they were all over the place regarding ease of installation.

AllieK

Just an FYI, the CARES harness only goes up to 40" so you might want to watch your DD's height closely, especially if you're not traveling right away.

Whatever seat you end up bringing, I'd plan on using that on the plane instead of the CARES harness, since you'll need a seat for rental cars anyway and using it on the plane is always way preferable to checking it -- at the counter or at the gate.

If your GoGoBaby cart is the type that screws in to the bottom of the seat, you may want to reconsider -- there is often some disassembly required to get the carseat through the security scanner, and screwing/unscrewing the thing can be quite a process. I'd try it out at home first and make sure it's easy to attach and unattach the seat.

U

Unregistered

Just an FYI, the CARES harness only goes up to 40" so you might want to watch your DD's height closely, especially if you're not traveling right away.

Thanks, AllieK. I hadn't even thought about that! I guess our era of the CARES harness is ending...

U

Unregistered

Whatever seat you end up bringing, I'd plan on using that on the plane instead of the CARES harness, since you'll need a seat for rental cars anyway and using it on the plane is always way preferable to checking it -- at the counter or at the gate.

If your GoGoBaby cart is the type that screws in to the bottom of the seat, you may want to reconsider -- there is often some disassembly required to get the carseat through the security scanner, and screwing/unscrewing the thing can be quite a process. I'd try it out at home first and make sure it's easy to attach and unattach the seat.

Minimalistmama, thank you for your advice. You are right, there is a bit work around attaching and detaching the carseat from the GoGoBaby, and I guess I wasn't thinking of it because usually I travel with DH and he does it all for me... It might be better to carry it in my hands. Maybe there's something that could allow me to wear it like a backpack?...

Good point about using the seat on the plane. I definitely don't want to check it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC