Inexpensive Convertible Suggestions Welcome

eelaroo2

My DS is 2, about 35 lbs and 37 inches tall. I want to buy a seat for at my mom's when we go. I want it to be safe obviously, but inexpensive (like <$50). She has an old Lexus boat that will likely fit everything. Anyone have a favorite? Thanks in advance for advice.

ADS

eelaroo2

I was looking for a comparison like this, thanks so much. I saw the Scenera was a no go for RF. I'm going to look into the NEXT, I think that one might work since it has a higher tolerance for height RF.

1mommy

If hes forward facing and you would prefer a budget combination seat (harness to booster) you could look at the Maestro ($80) or the SecureKid ($92 at Walmart) but for both of the options for convertible and for combination seat for the extra $10 you get a lot more life out of your seat and if at possible I would suggest it.

1mommy

Also the Scenera Next apparently has an extremely short crotch strap which will probably be the way he outgrows it first rather then by height or weight.

eelaroo2

Hmm...Thank you 1mommy for your suggestions. My niece will likely use the seat when she visits my mom as well. She's 2 as well but much smaller.

My son RF 90% of the time in my SUV, but FF in DH truck due to that seat's size requirements. I'm ok with him FF while we visit, I will look into the harness/boosters you've suggested. I don't know why I'm leaning towards the convertible though.

Mom says she can contribute, I think I can stretch the budget more.

Thanks!

Last edited:

1mommy

I'm digging the Guide65.

I have it for my son, rf, and he's fine w it but some kids don't like the way it pushes their head forward, so save the receipt until you know for sure it works for you. BTW it has a 40 inches and/or 40 pound height and weight limit for rf.

eelaroo2

I read about the head thing. We'll only be using it for short trips to dinner and such, so hopefully he'll be ok. I'm glad he can still RF at this stage and my niece will be able to use it too...hopefully for awhile.

Cnidaria

I have a Guide65 and like it. My son doesn't seem to have any issues with the head-pushed-forward thing.

It can be kind of finicky to install RFing - it likes to pivot around the LATCH strap or seatbelt to become more-reclined or less-reclined. I find that using a tightly-rolled towel or pool noodle next to the seat bight (as something for the front edge of the seat to sit on), and installing really tightly, helped. I'm happy with my install.

eelaroo2

I have a Guide65 and like it. My son doesn't seem to have any issues with the head-pushed-forward thing.

It can be kind of finicky to install RFing - it likes to pivot around the LATCH strap or seatbelt to become more-reclined or less-reclined. I find that using a tightly-rolled towel or pool noodle next to the seat bight (as something for the front edge of the seat to sit on), and installing really tightly, helped. I'm happy with my install.

Do you prefer the Guide65 or the SureRide your older son is in? 1mommy had suggested that one as well. It looks huge to me.

Cnidaria

They each have their pluses and minuses and I like both of them for different reasons! :-D In addition to being in my car, they're our travel seats so that influences my opinion of them.

I love how little space front to back the Guide 65 can take up for kids >22 lbs . . . but its installation is annoying as I talked about above. I love how, on an airplane, a FFing kid can have the tray table come all the way down flat!

I love how easy the SureRide is to install RFing (and FFing, both of them are easy to install FFing). But as mentioned, it takes up a lot of space front to back because it's tall and there's only one recline line for RFing. There's no way it would fit RFing in my tiny-backseat Mazda 3. The SureRide is big but it's really light, a couple three pounds lighter than the Guide 65. That's nice for toting it through airports.

On our last airplane trip, we swapped seats. The SureRide worked easily RFing on the plane for the little guy and my older got the benefit of being able to use his tray table. We rented a van at our destination and so the SureRide fit fine RFing. My older boy (4 1/2, very tall with long legs) complained a little about the Guide FFing in the car. He didn't seem to find it as comfortable as he does the SureRide. I think the Guide's seat pan isn't quite as deep.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC