Convertibles that fit newborns best

WaterlooWools

We are expecting our second child in late April. With our first we used a MyRide 65 from the start and were happy with it, so our current plan is to use a convertible from day one with the new baby. Obviously if we end up with a preemie or smaller than expected newborn we will change our plans, but assuming all goes to plan, we need to figure out a new convertible option.

Our MyRide will have several months left to expiry, so we are considering using that at the beginning and waiting a bit longer to buy a new convertible. However, if I find a good sale price on another seat before my due date, I'll go ahead and buy it now and not wait until later.

So which convertibles on the market (in Canada) now typically fit newborns the best? I know most of them are officially OK at 5 pounds, but I also know that some fit newborns better than others.

I know the carseat blog reviews often note this, and I'm trying to sort through those and figure it out, but of course it isn't 100% comprehensive and includes a lot of seats not available here, so it's a bit of a slog. Are there other sources that address fit to newborns?

Fit to car will hopefully be less of a problem--it will start out in a 2008 Ford Escape, which so far has fit every seat I've tried in it. We'll only have 2 across, so width isn't a big concern, and passenger side leg room is rarely an issue. We'll probably be switching over to a minivan within the next year.

ADS

Mary_Ann

WaterlooWools

Thanks all. The Britax CT seats are definitely on my list--just got DS1 a Frontier CT, and I've heard such great things. We got such a great deal on our MyRide and have gotten such long use out of it that part of my brain is struggling with the price of having 2 kids in Britax seats now, but if it's what will work best we can probably make it fit the budget--especially if I can get a sale price on the second seat (got a pretty good deal on the Frontier).

Just so I can compare all the options, if we were looking to stay under $200ish, it looks like getting a new MyRide might be one of the better options? We had no problems with fit last time and earlier today I found a review noting good fit for average sized newborns (I thought it was on carseatblog, but now I can't find it...sigh). I see Evenflo SureRide listed as a good fit for newborns as well, and...not much else on the Canadian market? (The Symphony sounds like it could work, but the 37" max RFing could be iffy for us long term--DS1 RF'd to about 3 with room to spare on the MyRide, but now I can't recall how tall he was then...)

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Under $200 the MyRide, Triumph (which also has the 37" height limit RF), and SureRide/Titan 65 are your best bets. Radian can be okay but unless you have a huge vehicle and a naturally very flat vehicle seat it's unlikely to work for front-to-back space and appropriate newborn recline (and isn't under $200 unless you snag a good sale on the R100, which then has no infant padding, so nix that one!)

If you still have the MyRide from your son, including the infant padding, then I'd go with that. The new MyRides don't have that same style of padding and I like the old one better. Perhaps the MyRide would get your child far enough that you'd have more options once you need to replace it as some infant/child seats (convertibles) require a little more head control as they're more upright. That would give you some time to save a bit too if you did end up going with a pricier seat.

WaterlooWools

OK, thanks. I think that will be our plan for now, then--keep an eye out for a sale on Britax seats, and use our existing MyRide in the meantime unless a sale comes before the baby. I didn't realize the new ones don't have the same infant padding, that's good to know!

And if we end up using the MyRide for a while yet, I'll take a look at convertibles that aren't newborn appropriate, too, and go from there.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
You MyRide has padding like this, right? A whole piece that is like a small quilty blanket?

New ones are like this - a bum pad and a separate head pad. Not as cushy.
ago-176_1z.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC