Favorite booster for petite kid

melniemi

I'm going to need a seat for my lil guy in a month. It'll be used in my hubby's truck sporadically but as often as 3x/week for 4 months. Then almost never. Price isn't an issue. I want something that will fit him well and have great side impact protection.

I love the Recaro Performance Booster but his legs are too short. I have a vivo but the lap belt doesn't touch his thighs? It's odd. He's 5.5, 44" and 38#, wears a size 6 with room to grow. He's really skinny, like has a 6 pack and no fat, skinny. Lol He has a fr90 as his main seat. Whatever I buy will be his main seat when he's 7ish.

ADS

1mommy

Graco Turbo Booster is supposed to be good for petite kids (with the high back on, I think if you want to use it backless it has a 40lbs min).

Meg

My 5 year old is super petite (wears size 3 or 4t) and I recently started booster training him. He fits wonderfully in his big brother's Britax Parkway.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Couldn't hurt to try the Kid Fit, it's on sale at Target this week. Hopefully the lower shelf in the store will allow you to see if his knees bend right.

Dorothy

I found that placing the booster on the bottom shelf with, say, a TurboBooster box behind it is a great way to sit test. I've gotten lots of looks basically clearing, then re-facing Target carseat sections shelves. I've been doing some pretty extensive booster shopping recently.

My son is similar in height but a bit heavier. I thought the KidFit fit him well.

melniemi

Kid Fit? Didn't think of that one. Too bad Target is 90 min away. I'll try it next time I'm there. Cybex? I thought about the pwsgl because I like the extra crotch strap.

nataliem257

Are you sure on the performance booster? My DD is almost identical stats and she says it's the comfiest booster we have, and the belt fit is awesome. Possible her legs are longer even though they're the same height.

CMeMeC

Are you sure on the performance booster? My DD is almost identical stats and she says it's the comfiest booster we have, and the belt fit is awesome. Possible her legs are longer even though they're the same height.

My kid is a similar size at 7, she also says the vivo is her favorite seat. We don't have a performance booster, but we do have a vivo, probooster, and parkway. The Recaro seats are my favorite, but the parkway also fits her well. I would double check the routing of the belt. The lap build guides are pretty far out on the vivo, I can't imagine the belt being too high. if his legs are just too small for the belt to reach properly, I would not consider a booster a safe option at this time.

melniemi

I'll have to try the vivo again. I can't imagine the Performance booster fitting because my 8yo just fits. Like barely. The seat is almost too deep. She's 48". I forgot about my probooster. That is a little shallower than the performance. I'll try both I guess. I was kind of itching for a new seat. Lol

abigaylebelle

I will enable you :). The cybex x fix fit my petite kiddo great. He still fits fine at 48" tall but there isn't a lot of leg support. Less than a high back turbo for sure.

henrietta

I will enable you :). The cybex x fix fit my petite kiddo great. He still fits fine at 48" tall but there isn't a lot of leg support. Less than a high back turbo for sure.

This exactly!! We have one, too. It was my now 9.5 year olds primary seat for about 2 years, starting at exactly 40 lbs (don't remember how tall, but it fits really short kiddos, like the Graco Turbo does). Now his legs are too long to be comfortable in it and he's almost out of it by height (really, really close..he's about 51" tall). It fits my 6.5 year old really well still. He's 46.5" tall and 47 lbs. Great fit in it. Lots of room to grow...several inches and height adjustments.

Phineasmama

I saw a new (I think?) Chicco booster at Target and bought one for my 6yo DS, he is small for his age and I was very pleased at how good the belt fit was on him. It was on sale for $89.99 and it has latch that is really easy to tighten.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Turbo with Safety Surround (I originally typed Surround Sound lol) is an option, too.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I almost grabbed the $45 safety surround from amazon. But procrastinated and now it's $107.

It still has the same unpadded padding in the butt as every other Graco, so no loss, IMO. (Seeing it next to the Chicco is amazing the difference, it's so so hard, the Chicco is so so soft...I'm just sad you are so far from Target!!!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC