FF Car Seat in the front?

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
Can I put a FF car seat in the front passenger seat with an air bag? It wouldn't be an every day thing. A friend of mine has her 4 year old in the same day care as my daughter and there may be days when I need to pick him up for her (very few and far between). We have the 3rd row out of our van most of the time and just have the 2 captain's chairs with my Marathon and SafeSeat1.

ADS

Shaunam

I would use the third row if at all possible. It really is going to be so much safer. If not, can you turn the airbag off? If you could turn it off and push the seat all the way back, I'd consider it. But I don't know. I'd kind of feel really, really bad if there's another option, even if it is a pain-in-the-butt one. :twocents:

MomToEliEm

I would feel much more comfortable keeping the 3rd row in the van and only removing it when needed and installing the seat there.

It that isn't an option, then forward facing carseat in the front passanger seat is okay as long as the seat is pushed as far back as possible. Is there a tether anchor on that front seat? I think I would feel a lot more secure if there was a tether anchor, but I don't recall seeing many front passenger seats with tether anchors as kids really aren't suppose to sit there.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I have to agree... front seat is 40% less with airbags, and 35% less safe without airbags... I'd put the back seat back in (I'm constantly taking my seats in and out and folding them up and down so that everyone can always have the ideal seating position for no matter how rare or short a trip...I always just think, "what if THIS were the trip where I was in a crash? How would we all be ideally restrained?"

:)

crunchierthanthou

I have to agree... front seat is 40% less with airbags, and 35% less safe without airbags... I'd put the back seat back in (I'm constantly taking my seats in and out and folding them up and down so that everyone can always have the ideal seating position for no matter how rare or short a trip...I always just think, "what if THIS were the trip where I was in a crash? How would we all be ideally restrained?"

:)

exactly. I'm not a big fan of back-up seats or less than ideal installations for "sometimes". If it's not safe for every day, it's not safe ever. If we knew when a crash was going to happen there would never be any. Even if you don't drive him often, you still have to make the safer choice every time.

ThreeBeans

If you have a third row, use that. A front seat is acceptable if there are NO OTHER OPTIONS. I would not be comfortable playing with the safety of my friend's child over something as trivial as not having the bench in.

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
We have the third row, but I can't put it in by myself. I'll just have to have my friend help me put it in when she drops her son's car seat off.

Thanks for your replies!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC