Evenflo SecureKid 400 High Back Booster Installation Help!

U

Unregistered

I have an Evenflo SecureKid 400 for my 5yo son but he's just about to outgrow the highest shoulder strap on the 5-point-harness. I am reading up on installation for use as a high back booster using the seat belt vs harness but I am having a very hard time figuring out whether the seat should be installed with the lower latch anchors or not. No where in the manual does it say to attach the seat in booster mode to the car with the latch system/upper tether but no where does it say not to either. It's very vague and confusing. I have tried reading up online and have found a a couple places that say this seat can be connected with the latch while using as a high back booster with the seat belt but I can't find a solid answer whether the correct way is or without or if it matters and which is safer? I'm assuming the seat belt will still work properly and keep my son safe if the seat is attached to the latch system?

I'm just not sure what to do. Does anyone have this seat or have an answer? We also have a Graco TurboBooster for my husband's car and that is just one that sits on the seat without attaching in anyway, just a positional booster. I appreciate any advice. I will probably contact Evenflo as well for clarification.

Thanks in advance!
Ali

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The 2014 SecureKid manual I have says:

Always secure the booster seat with the LATCH connectors or vehicle seat belt when not occupied. An unsecured booster seat can fly into and injure other occupants in the event of a crash.

Do you have the screws in the armrest of the Turbobooster? You should make sure that's buckled in when it's not in use.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yes. It's only holding the seat in. The seatbelt holds the child in. When the seat is unoccupied, it can be a projectile. You don't need to undo the LATCH to buckle in a booster child, the two systems are completely independent and holding two different things.

Wendy

henrietta

We have an Evenflo SK300 which is basically the same seat and same rules. Wendy's totally right. You can install it with the latch anchors while using it as a belt positioning booster, including the top tether. It doesn't have to be installed as perfectly tight as when you install it to use as a harnessed seat, so you don't have to fret as much for the "perfect install". Tight enough is good enough. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC