Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Evenflo SecureKid 400 High Back Booster Installation Help!

I have an Evenflo SecureKid 400 for my 5yo son but he's just about to outgrow the highest shoulder strap on the 5-point-harness. I am reading up on installation for use as a high back booster using the seat belt vs harness but I am having a very hard time figuring out whether the seat should be installed with the lower latch anchors or not. No where in the manual does it say to attach the seat in booster mode to the car with the latch system/upper tether but no where does it say not to either. It's very vague and confusing. I have tried reading up online and have found a a couple places that say this seat can be connected with the latch while using as a high back booster with the seat belt but I can't find a solid answer whether the correct way is or without or if it matters and which is safer? I'm assuming the seat belt will still work properly and keep my son safe if the seat is attached to the latch system?

I'm just not sure what to do. Does anyone have this seat or have an answer? We also have a Graco TurboBooster for my husband's car and that is just one that sits on the seat without attaching in anyway, just a positional booster. I appreciate any advice. I will probably contact Evenflo as well for clarification.

Thanks in advance!
    Ali

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Evenflo SecureKid 400 High Back Booster Installation Help!

The 2014 SecureKid manual I have says:

Always secure the booster seat with the LATCH connectors or vehicle seat belt when not occupied. An unsecured booster seat can fly into and injure other occupants in the event of a crash.
    Do you have the screws in the armrest of the Turbobooster? You should make sure that's buckled in when it's not in use.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Should you use top tether in booster mode as well? I'm thinking not but I'm not sure.
    Mom to three big girls in adult seat belts (20, 17, and 14) and one booster rider (8) in a Kia Sedona and a VW Tiguan.

You sure can! That's what the T in LATCH stands for.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    The 2014 SecureKid manual I have says: Do you have the screws in the armrest of the Turbobooster? You should make sure that's buckled in when it's not in use. Wendy
    What about when the seat IS occupied? Can you secure with with LATCH?

Yes. It's only holding the seat in. The seatbelt holds the child in. When the seat is unoccupied, it can be a projectile. You don't need to undo the LATCH to buckle in a booster child, the two systems are completely independent and holding two different things.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to

CPS Technician

We have an Evenflo SK300 which is basically the same seat and same rules. Wendy's totally right. You can install it with the latch anchors while using it as a belt positioning booster, including the top tether. It doesn't have to be installed as perfectly tight as when you install it to use as a harnessed seat, so you don't have to fret as much for the "perfect install". Tight enough is good enough.
    henrietta
    former CPST & Mom extraordinaire of 2 rowdy little boys & 1 spunky girl toddler, among hundreds of other skills!
    #1, age 9.5, Harmony Literider or Transit backless booster, occasional Safety First Incognito
    #2, age 6.5, Cybex Xfit booster/Harmony folding travel booster/Evenflo hbb
    #3 age 15 months, Britax Advocate CT/Combi Cocorro