2015 Sub outback-diono or clek fit ok?

Elena

Hello,
I'm new to carseat.org-looks like a great site!
We are about to buy a new car-likely a 2015 Subaru outback. We just bought a clek fllo but are not sure we want to keep it; may return it and get a diono radian or ranier.

Does anyone know if these seats can fit in the center of the outback? Any issues? If so, is another brand advisable (I think I would only go for britax or safety first). We are moving soon to Peru-and the traffic and driving there is absolutely atrocious, like nothing I've ever seen. So safety is of utmost concern.

Thanks so much,
Ellen

ADS

cantabdad

I have the 2014 Outback and the interior was slightly re-designed for 2015, but unless something substantial was changed, I don't think you will have any trouble installing any of the seats you mentioned in the center seat. I know I have put the Diono Radian in the center, as well as various boosters.

Is this for a forward- or rear-facing carseat? A rear-facing seat can usually fit with a decent amount of space left for adults in the front, but of course that varies depending on the carseat and how tall the adults are.

Also keep in mind that there is no LATCH in the center seat, so you will have to use the seatbelt to install there. The seatbelt comes out of the ceiling, but so far that has not caused any installation issues for me.

If you're talking about putting the carseat in the center because you need other passengers to sit in the outboard seats, then certainly a narrow carseat like the Clek or the Diono makes sense.

Elena

I have the 2014 Outback and the interior was slightly re-designed for 2015, but unless something substantial was changed, I don't think you will have any trouble installing any of the seats you mentioned in the center seat. I know I have put the Diono Radian in the center, as well as various boosters.

Is this for a forward- or rear-facing carseat? A rear-facing seat can usually fit with a decent amount of space left for adults in the front, but of course that varies depending on the carseat and how tall the adults are.

Also keep in mind that there is no LATCH in the center seat, so you will have to use the seatbelt to install there. The seatbelt comes out of the ceiling, but so far that has not caused any installation issues for me.

If you're talking about putting the carseat in the center because you need other passengers to sit in the outboard seats, then certainly a narrow carseat like the Clek or the Diono makes sense.

Thanks! Right now she is rear facing, 16 months and only 20 lbs so I think she will be rear facing for many years to come. The main reason to have her in the center is for safety; we are moving to Lima Peru and driving there is crazy (like a 4 lane highway has 6-7 lanes of traffic all on top of each other, often you are just inches away from other vehicles)
I am very concerned about side impact.

I saw what I had thought were anchors for the center seat-is this not part of the LATCH system (I don't know what it is, sorry I have some research to do). I also saw that they have tethers from the back of the seats for all positions which seemed good-the forester and Honda crv came from the ceiling.

Thanks for the help so far!!

1mommy

Personally for a seatbelt that comes from the ceiling I would get a seat with lock-offs to make installation easier - so I would recommend sticking with the Fllo vs the Radian/Ranier

cantabdad

I saw what I had thought were anchors for the center seat-is this not part of the LATCH system (I don't know what it is, sorry I have some research to do). I also saw that they have tethers from the back of the seats for all positions which seemed good-the forester and Honda crv came from the ceiling.

All 3 of the rear seats have top tether anchors. In my 2014 model, these are located in the cargo area, but in the 2015, they will be on the seatback -- which is more convenient and doesn't block rear visibility as much.

Only the 2 outboard seats have the lower anchors; that's why I mentioned installing with the seatbelt. I don't think you'll have trouble installing the Radian with the seatbelt in that position, but it's definitely worth bringing your carseat(s) to the dealership before you buy so that you are happy.

Elena

All 3 of the rear seats have top tether anchors. In my 2014 model, these are located in the cargo area, but in the 2015, they will be on the seatback -- which is more convenient and doesn't block rear visibility as much.

Only the 2 outboard seats have the lower anchors; that's why I mentioned installing with the seatbelt. I don't think you'll have trouble installing the Radian with the seatbelt in that position, but it's definitely worth bringing your carseat(s) to the dealership before you buy so that you are happy.

Thank you! We will definitely do his on the next car shopping visit...thinking about a honda crv as well.

cantabdad

Thank you! We will definitely do his on the next car shopping visit...thinking about a honda crv as well.

The CR-V is a great bet, too. It does have LATCH in the center seat, if that is important to you. (Just to clarify - - it does not have 3 full sets of lower anchors, only 2.5, so LATCH can be used in the center or outboard, but not both at the same time.)

I'm sure Honda is in Peru, but does Subaru have much of a dealership presence there for routine maintenance and repairs?

Here are some online reviews of the Outback and CR-V from a carseat perspective:
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2014/10/2015-subaru-outback-car-seat-check.html

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2014/12/2015-honda-cr-v-car-seat-
check.html

aporthole

The new 2015 Outback and Legacy both allow center lower anchor borrowing so long as the car seat also allows it. We have a 2015 Legacy so basically the same as the Outback. The distance between the inner anchors from the outboard seats was around 18.5" if I recall correctly when I measured. That distance is too wide for a Diono. You could only use the inner anchors in the center if no one else was seated in the back as borrowing would end up overlapping with both outboard seat belt buckles. Something like a non-ClickTight Britax, Evenflo, or Dorel seat could borrow in the center, but I wouldn't want to.

In our Legacy I have installed a Britax Boulevard ClickTight, a Diono Radian RXT, and a Clek Fllo all rear facing (not simultaneously). They all fit/install very well in each seating position. I do know that the Clek Foonf actually takes up a bit less space front to back than the Fllo when rear facing with the antirebound bar in the Legacy. The Diono Radian installed just fine with the vehicle seat belt in all 3 rear seats and the Britax ClickTight was a breeze to install and SUPER compact front to back. The Britax ClickTights will definitely give you maximum leg room up front and the easiest install.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC