Tethering in a third split seat in a 2005 Dodge Caravan??

LKuepfer

http://s982.photobucket.com/user/Leahford04/media/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20150225_164542.jpg.html
http://s982.photobucket.com/user/Leahford04/media/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20150225_164505.jpg.html
http://s982.photobucket.com/user/Leahford04/media/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20150225_164704.jpg.html

Okay I am beyond frustrated... I'm starting to wonder if I can have any seats in our third row besides our rear facing newborn who hasn't been born yet. I am trying to harness my 4 yearold back there or booster my 7 yearold. But I have a problem with both.

The rear seat is split 50/50 and the tether I think is for the middle seat which has a lap belt. But because of the split the tether slips between the seats. The manual seems to maybe infer that I could put the seat on the outside and put the tether through the headrest and tether it on the side??? Or am I reading into it? That would fix my problem if I could. On a previous thread on this forum before I didn't have to use the back seat they talked about the seat not preforming properly if the tether slips between the seats. I added a picture of the vehicle manual and the seat.

As for the booster I have the third row Caravan seat belt issue where the seat belts won't retract through the booster belt guides.

Is there anyway I can even use the back seat for forward facing kids?

ADS

LKuepfer

Thanks for the links, I really hope I don't have to buy a new booster but that wouldn't be as bad as a new harnessed seat. The boosters I have are a Turbo and parkway and the Harnessed seat is the Nautilus. From that thread I think the only other Canadian option I could try is the Big Kid Even Flo?

Anyone have thoughts on the tethering? It seems ridiculous that you can't put even one harnessed seat back there..

mapsgirl

CPS Technician
Are you installing the FF seat in teh 3rd row with the seatbelt or the anchors? Does it have to go in the centre seating position? Or can they go outboard?

LKuepfer

I'm trying to install the Nautilus in the middle with a lap belt. Theres no latch in the back. I would love to do the side with a regular seatbelt but if you look at the picture of the back of our van there is only one tether slightly off centre. So according to the manual (pictures included) can I put the seat on the side and reach over to the middle tether, in the middle through the crack or neither is acceptable?

LKuepfer

Thanks for the link. I'm thinking I might have to pursue adding tethers. I know my husband just wants to get some from Canadian Tire and install them himself. Is that safe? That or maybe if I order them from Chrysler and he can install those? I don't know if I can convince him to take it in to be done. Which is why I am trying hard to find a safe alternative. :)

And as far as what our vehicle manual says. I find it very vague.. do you think they mean that it could be installed outboard and then the tether put under the headrest and over to the tether hook? From looking at the picture of our van seats it seems that installing it on the middle the tether strap is reaching over just as much to reach the tether hook that's off centre. Or is this just wishful thinking......

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I know my husband just wants to get some from Canadian Tire and install them himself. Is that safe? That or maybe if I order them from Chrysler and he can install those?

No, do not get the CT ones. They aren't an approved retrofit at all.

Is that model stow & go?

Pixelated

Okay, then you CAN pay to have outboard ones installed. I do not know if Dodge would allow you to simply buy the part and do it yourself as I don't know what's involved in doing it.

3rd row full bench outboard TA retrofit part (is the 50/50 still a full bench? I don't know): 05012007AB

That is my only suggestion really, other than trying a Britax seat with a Versa tether to see if that will avoid the split, but I'm not positive it would. It's a completely useless tether anchor location otherwise, isn't it? How frustrating.

The Parkway has been known to work back there *sometimes* in the outboard position - might depend on the height adjustment of the high back part. You might also try the Evenflo AMP or Big Kid, they DO work there nicely. The Harmony Dreamtime does usually too. I've heard the Nautilus in booster mode does, but then you're out a harnessed seat. I'm sorry - wish I could make this easier :(

LKuepfer

Thank you so much for your help Pixelated, We have the Parkway and it is not working well back there and for giving me hope that another booster might work. And yes it seems like a useless tether as are those back seat seatbelts...

Thanks for the info on adding tethers. It gives me somewhere to start if we go that route.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Okay, then you CAN pay to have outboard ones installed. I do not know if Dodge would allow you to simply buy the part and do it yourself as I don't know what's involved in doing it.

I don't know about in CAN, but you are able to in the US. It's simply screwing a bolt into a prewelded nut with a torque wrench. Just pull off the plastic caps, put a circle of silicon lubricant around exposed hole (to keep exhaust from seeping in around the bolt and insert the (should be) preassembled bolt/washers/bracket/lock washer into the hole and tighten to the appropriate torque. If you don't hae a torque wrench, a lot of auto parts stores will let you borrow one to finish off a bolt you installed just barely tight with a regular socket wrench. I don't have my tether book handy or I'd tell you the torque.

If for some reason, the kit comes unassembled this guide http://www.saferidenews.com/srndnn/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=ifRDwrcdGns=&tabid=173

note-it's outdated, so the info on generic parts is obsolete, but the graphic showing the order of the parts is correct unless that specific kit has different instructions. If the instructions don't come with the kit, ask the parts people at the dealer to print of the installation instructions in their service manual for you when you pick up the part.

Pixelated

I don't know about in CAN, but you are able to in the US. It's simply screwing a bolt into a prewelded nut with a torque wrench. Just pull off the plastic caps, put a circle of silicon lubricant around exposed hole (to keep exhaust from seeping in around the bolt and insert the (should be) preassembled bolt/washers/bracket/lock washer into the hole and tighten to the appropriate torque. If you don't hae a torque wrench, a lot of auto parts stores will let you borrow one to finish off a bolt you installed just barely tight with a regular socket wrench. I don't have my tether book handy or I'd tell you the torque.

Oh that's good to know. Should make it very reasonable price-wise if the dealer doesn't just do it on good will.

LKuepfer

Okay I was able to order the TA retrofit with the part number Pixelated gave from our local Chrysler Dealership for $107. And he was okay with us installing it. Now of course like you guys said this is for a 50/50 not a full bench but safety wise it will be okay?

The guy from the dealership said there was nothing for the Dodge Caravans from that year but then from the threads linked I saw people are using the Durango ones which were approved by Chrysler Canada. So he ordered the part but didn't seem to know more so hopefully this is a safe option!:rolleyes:

Pixelated

The part number I gave you is an approved retrofit for your model year and type of van. The Durango retrofit isn't, they're not the same thing as far as I know. And $107 doesn't sound terrible, if it's a simple job to do it yourself.

LKuepfer

Thanks what I gave him was the number you gave me. So I don't know what or where its from since he didn't say except that there wasn't a specific one for our van. But if its approved I'lll use it! :) Thanks again!

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
You can also put in a 2001 full bench, which has 3 top tethers, and UAS in both outboard positions (or you can borrow from the sides and use UAS in the middle. I put a 2001 in my '02 and '06 Caravan. The spacing between the 2 outboard tracks are the same spacing. Dodge gave me the go ahead.

LKuepfer

So the part came and I'm sure something is wrong or missing.. I'll attach pictures so you can see. But all that came is basically a D ring on a strap that shows you loop it around the bottom of the seat.. Can that be right? I was expecting a screw or bolt or something?? Definitely no torque wrench needed with what came.. The dealer who ordered it didn't think it looked right either and was kind enough to keep it so he can return it if necessary. The part number is right I double checked.
Thanks
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae304/Leahford04/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20150304_170625.jpg
[/URL]http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae304/Leahford04/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150304_170354.jpg
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae304/Leahford04/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20150304_170340.jpg
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae304/Leahford04/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20150304_170325.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC