Calling all car seat advocates!

soygurl

I am preparing for a car seat talk that I'll be giving to a group of nannies (I'm a nanny as well as being a CPST), and I would LOVE some help testing out a quiz I'm going to give! The answer key will now be shown directly after the quiz is submitted. http://goo.gl/forms/Xm6mQpvEbs
TIA!

Last edited:
ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think number 2 is misleading, there are potentially multiple correct answers. I'd like to know your answer to 6, to see whether I agree with that one (it's by no means a matter of universal consensus.)

soygurl

I think number 2 is misleading, there are potentially multiple correct answers. I'd like to know your answer to 6, to see whether I agree with that one (it's by no means a matter of universal consensus.)

Well, the quiz is intended to be tough, with some "trick" questions, however I disagree about number two having more than one correct answer. Some of the answers are outdated or often mistakenly believed to be "rules" but I think current recommendations are pretty clear.

I agree that number 6 is not universally agreed upon, and there are partial truths in all of the options. I'm PMing you the answer key, and am open to more discussion via PM if you're interested! :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There are specific instances in which some of the number two answers that are not generally correct, are. I think adding the word most into the question would fix that one.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
And I actually meant number 9, not 6. (Sorry, I flip and transpose numbers sometimes.) Though there are some valid arguments about 6.

I tend to try to avoid trick questions in quizzes for average parents, for the most part...

soygurl

There are specific instances in which some of the number two answers that are not generally correct, are. I think adding the word most into the question would fix that one.
I'd love some examples, because I can't think of one, and I want to know what I'm forgetting! :eek:

And I actually meant number 9, not 6. (Sorry, I flip and transpose numbers sometimes.) Though there are some valid arguments about 6.
It's funny, but I was totally thinking of number 9 when you asked before! And I agree that there ARE valid arguments about 6 as well, and I'll be mentioning that when I go over the questions with everyone. Do you disagree about 9 though?

I tend to try to avoid trick questions in quizzes for average parents, for the most part...
If I was presenting this to parents, I'd probably avoid trick questions too. But these are nannies, and they tend to always think that they know it all, even more than parents! So I'm going to give this quiz first, to wake them up about how much they actually know (or don't)! Then I'll be going over all of the questions in detail.

Thanks for all the feedback! :D

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Scenera Next & Radian are examples for #2.

I think 6 is fine but in all honesty I didn't like any of the answers for 9. I felt like the components of the "correct" answer were spread throughout the options but no one option was exactly in alignment with what I would tell a parent.

My nanny group locally would definitely fail this quiz lol.

soygurl

Scenera Next & Radian are examples for #2.
I don't count the Radian, because there simply isn't any actual checking the recline angle... it just is what it is. The NEXT does have a level to ground line, so personally I think that still falls into the "right" answer (being allowed more upright is a bonus, and again, doesn't require checking for a "correct" angle).
I think 6 is fine but in all honesty I didn't like any of the answers for 9. I felt like the components of the "correct" answer were spread throughout the options but no one option was exactly in alignment with what I would tell a parent.
You do have a point about 9, but I feel like it's a very tough subject, that's frequent misunderstood. I DO agree with the NHTSA recommendation, and use it when talking to people... with some more explaining. ;)
My nanny group locally would definitely fail this quiz lol.
Hahaha, mine will too, and there are going to be quite a few of them (many I'm friends with included) who are going to be SHOCKED at how bad they do! :D [emoji14]

Last edited:

Dillipop

I had an issue with #3. Was that one of your trick questions? I'd love a pm with the questions and your answers.

soygurl

For those who have taken the quiz, if you had to cut a question, which one is most extendable in your mind?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Ok, I had issues with #3 and #9.

I don't know whether my answer to 3 was right or wrong, but it doesn't really matter in terms of my issue with it. There are a couple exceptions to the generally held rule, so technically that would allow for a particular answer. However, those exceptions are so rare that I'd be afraid of stressing it too much, lest an inexperienced tech misunderstood and started applying it to other seats. If a tech follows the general guideline in a seat that allows otherwise, no big deal. If a tech assumes that it doesn't apply to a seat where it does, that's a problem. It seems like more of a "gotcha" question than one that actually imparts useful knowledge.

And if the answer is actually the opposite of what I answered, then that's a problem, because there are exceptions to that rule.

My problem with 9 is that all of them are partially acceptable answers, and none of them are completely acceptable without knowing more information, either about age, size, or maturity.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, and I thought this was a quiz for CPSTs. If it's for non-techs, then I definitely have a problem with #3 for the reasons I stated above. (One answer is technically wrong; the other, while right, could lead to more harm than good.)

StillThankful

Update:

I didn't perform so well. :eek:
I didn't know WA laws (one of which was #11. The one I picked was right but conditional. I think you could clarify what "child" means for the question--"up to 12 years old" maybe.
#6 I really thought I got that right...but didn't. I always recited the "can you pinch an inch?" to myself.
And for #8, I was thinking of car seats as in 5 point harness seats expiration dates. Didn't really think of all child restraints which includes boosters.

I was thinking that #8 could be a great True/False question. One of the best golden nuggets I got from this forum was that car seats have an expiration date period.

You did a great job making the test! :thumbsup:

soygurl

My problem with 9 is that all of them are partially acceptable answers, and none of them are completely acceptable without knowing more information, either about age, size, or maturity.

Yes, all of the answers are partially true, but one is entirely true (though still incomplete, you're right). If you have suggestions for how I could improve the possible answers to that questions please PM me. I do think that I can adequately cover all of the parameters for moving a child from a harness to a booster when going over the quiz, but I'm open to changing things also.

soygurl

Update:

I didn't perform so well. :eek:
I didn't know WA laws (one of which was #11. The one I picked was right but conditional. I think you could clarify what "child" means for the question--"up to 12 years old" maybe.
#6 I really thought I got that right...but didn't. I always recited the "can you pinch an inch?" to myself.
And for #8, I was thinking of car seats as in 5 point harness seats expiration dates. Didn't really think of all child restraints which includes boosters.

I was thinking that #8 could be a great True/False question. One of the best golden nuggets I got from this forum was that car seats have an expiration date period.

You did a great job making the test! :thumbsup:

I think that clarifying what a "child" is will either give away, or further confuse people for #11 (I will be going over all of the answers in detail when I give the quiz for the presentation).

Yeah, I've heard that "pinch an inch" thing many times, so I'm glad I included that one in there. If you want a new motto, try "snug as a hug." It still rhymes, and I think is less likely to be misunderstood. ;)

I have also edited #8 to say "car seats and boosters." Thanks for pointing that out!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC