Can it really be time for NO booster?!

dodgewoman

OMG, I'm not liking this growing up thing over here. My DD is 11(turned in October). She has been riding in a NBB for a while now, I think I let her switch out around 9? Well, I knew she was getting close for meeting the test to get out of the booster completely. We had an emergency situation yesterday where I had to take her down the road in my father's truck. I realized that her knees were bent over the seat correctly and her feet were on the floor!

When I went to pick her up, in my Pilot, I buckled her in with no seats and yup, her back was against the seat, knees bent over the egde, feet on floor, belt on her hips and strap on her shoulder, kinda close to her neck but it hits me wrong there too!

I don't feel safe driving her around like this,lol She's 11 and I'm sure she's fine but OMG, really?!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Isn't it the weirdest?!?! 11 sounds about right, though, my older kids were that age, a little younger in smaller third rows, and my very tall 9 yo is getting so so close (sniff, sniff, weep, weep, my baaaaaaaaybe!)

Morganthe

:eek: I found out the other day that dd has been riding in the truck with her dad without a booster during the past 2 months whenever he takes her or picks her up. Boy was I embarrassed that I didn't know that gem of a fact. :duck:

Her feet are flat & she sits normally on the bench + reaches the headrest with no issue.. She has to hold the belt off her neck a little, but I do too at 5'8 :shrug-shoulders: So I don't think it's vital component in this situation. A booster, even a low profile pushes her up too high now.

yeah, it was a weird feeling when I first realized DD1 could 5-step, she was probably around 11 at the time. Her shorter twin sister took another year before she caught up, so I've got the *really weird* feeling of driving a car that has absolutely NO boosters, not even a spare BubbleBum in the trunk for the "just in case", and my RSTV has found a home with another family from our parents of multiples club.

And now that they're 13YO, I occasionally have to deal with DD2 asking if she can ride in the front seat (and suppressing the urge to say "NOT UNTIL YOU'RE OLD ENOUGH TO DRIVE" LOL), thankfully she doesn't ask often and DD1 is content to stay in the back seat with her knitting.

dodgewoman

At least I'm not the only one who this feels so wrong to,lol. I wanted to make her wait until seeing but like one of you said it would make her to tall now!

NVMBR02

It does feel strange! My oldest was 11 in Jan. and she has 5 stepped in every position in our Pilot for about a year now. The seatbelt doesn't fit quite a nicely in the Fusion that DH usually drives so there is an incognito in there for her, but it is close enough that I would be okay with her going without it in a pinch. 9 year old DS 5 steps in the 3rd row of the Pilot, but not quite in the second row yet.

I had the realization the other day that this time next year I may only have one child in a seat full time...and that very well could be a booster!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC